Lift or stock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tdean91491

Something about an OBS
Reaction score
Ive recently bought a 96 from a buddy who was pretty rough on the truck. I knew what I was getting when I bought it, I knew it had to have some work done to it. I'm just wondering if I go to replace all the shocks, control arms & pretty much everything else to do with the suspension should I go ahead a put a lift on it ?

Thanks.

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
The choice is really yours. You want a lifted truck or a stock truck? What are your ultimate goals? Decide that and go from there.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
That sounds like a decision you need to make.

I would love a 6" lift, but the truck isn't worth that kind of money, so I settled for cranked and larger tires.

EDS_5_OH

Reaction score
All the worn out stuff will still need to be replaced even with a lift kit. The shocks are the only thing you get extra in most bolt on 4-6 inch lift kits. All bushing, ball joints, steering items etc. will still need replacing.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
They are pretty much right when it comes to what your goals are. if you want to improve ride then replace all the control arm bushings and rear spring bushings. ball joints, tie rods and steering joints, new springs on the front if its a 4x2, but since you said lift then most likely 4x4 unless your doing a dessert runner. maybe on the rear as well if its had a herd life hauling things. I would also check the U bolts on the rear axles. I have seen some that where rusted very thin where the clamp catches dirt. Mine where. I treated them with a rubber compound after painting them.

But if you want to spend the money you have to do your research on what kind of lift. suspension or body. suspension has less complications. this way you will be replacing all of this. but if you are just wanting a couple of inches you can twist the torsion bars over a couple of slots and shackle the rear. replace all the parts mentioned above and you basically have a new truck. The only other way would be going to air ride. then you can adjust the suspension to the situation.

Like we mentioned before its what your goals are and what you can afford.