Lift Laws For Your State

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shrapnel

Reaction score
Just something to add for the MA Laws, the 4wd regulations come from 540 CMR 6.00, not MGL Chapter 90 Section 7P.

2WD vehicles are subject to only those penalties listed under 90-7P (the penalties are derived from 90-20).

For 4WD vehicles, they are subject to the same penalties and also 540 CMR 6.06 states that the registration be suspended. The RMV recognizes that due to slight variation in production tolerances, violations under 540 CMR 6.00 must be in excess of 1 inch of what you get with that formula.

katkatcher#1

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Talked to a state trooper yesterday and had her look up laws for lifted trucks:
SOUTH CAROLINA

You can't modify either up or down by more than 6 inches from the original height. <----PASSINGER PICKUP ARE EXEMPT FROM THIS LAW

In South carolina thel only laws applyed to THE HEIGHT OF Lifted pickups are the the headlight and tail light laws
Headlights can't exceed 54" from ground to center of headlight
Tail lights can't exceed 60" from ground to the center of Taillights,
Measurement must be taken from level ground, with the pickup un loaded

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
exact same for nebraska..my dad had a 76 Sierra High Boy with around 23 inches of lift(yeah he's a mud lovin redneck) and got pulled over for havin his headlights centered at 54 3/4 inches.

Clutch1819

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here in Alabama its the same as South Carolina. "Headlights can't exceed 54" from ground to center of headlight Tail lights can't exceed 60" from ground to the center of Taillights, Measurement must be taken from level ground, with the pickup un loaded "

supazuk

Reaction score
NH is incorrect-
"266:9 Height of Motor Vehicle Body and Chassis. – No person shall change the height of, or alter a bumper of, a private passenger vehicle so that the height of any horizontal bumper falls below the minimum distance of 16 inches or above the maximum distance of 20 inches. No person shall change the height of, or alter a bumper of, any vehicle other than a private passenger vehicle so that the height of any horizontal bumper falls below the minimum distance of 16 inches or above the maximum distance of 30 inches. Measurement shall be made from the level ground to the bottom of the bumper with tires inflated to manufacturer's maximum air pressure. If a vehicle is not commonly manufactured with a rear bumper, measurement shall be made to the bottom edge of the chassis frame siderails. No motor vehicle that has been changed or altered so as to exceed the limitations of this section shall be driven on any way without the prior approval of the director. For the purpose of this section, in addition to the definition contained in RSA 259:81, the term "private passenger vehicle'' shall mean a vehicle that has no provision for carrying a load other than a conventional trunk or the cargo area of a station wagon or similar type of vehicle. "

AlNelson

Reaction score
Alaska is Incorrect

(2) a motor vehicle may not be modified to position the lowest portion of the body floor more than three inches above the top of the frame, or to result in a maximum frame height or body floor height greater than 24 inches for a vehicle of up to 4,500 pounds GVWR, 26 inches for 4,501 - 7,500 pounds GVWR, or 28 inches for 7,501 - 10,000 pounds GVWR.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Virginia law is accurate...however I have always found it very misleading. The law first says that you vehicle can not be altered in any way. This says to me...no lowering..no raising...no wheels...exhaust...et cetera.

But then they come back with bumper height requirements? Im sorry but if an officer thinks you look low/high enough to pull you to check....Guess what? you are illegal.

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In florida what if my truck weighs 10, 000 lbs

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2