Levelling keys installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys just a quick question on torsion bar and keys install, does the torsion bar need to be all the way back against the cross member? I can't find anything online saying it has to be, right now my bars are through my keys about 1/8 I'd say but not touching the back of the cross member is this ok? Or should I change it?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the bar is only into the key 1/8"?? And before anyone else comments... I'll let you know that everyone will tell you..... aftermarket keys are a waste of time and money.... they are a gimmick for sellers to get more money.. a stock key can be maxed out so far that you are against your bump stops and have adjuster bolt to spare...

sent from what use to be a great country...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that's the case that your bar is only in 1/8" into the key then that is wrong and asking for disaster.....

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If that's the case that your bar is only in 1/8" into the key then that is wrong and asking for disaster.....

Sorry it's sticking out the back of the key, it's through the key all the way, just wondering if it should be more through the key and touching the back of the cross member with key still centred in space

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Like @magimerlin said, complete waste of money. If I were you I'd take them off and return them, then put the stock ones back on. Aftermarket keys don't gain you anything on these trucks.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like @magimerlin said, complete waste of money. If I were you I'd take them off and return them, then put the stock ones back on. Aftermarket keys don't gain you anything on these trucks.

Forgot to mention, it's an 2002 GMC Sierra, it does help on the newer trucks as I had no bolt left and the truck was never modified came like that factory, I now have the height I want and I can put my finger in between the upper control arm and the bump stop, I have a 95 and the stocks are cranked, that's fine

I just want to know if the bar needs to be through the key more, and touch or be close the rear of the cross member as there is an air gap right now that can be seen in the pictures

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^^^^^well that makes ALLLLL the difference in the world..lol... being a gmt400 site and your screen name we where under the assumption it was for a 94....

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
^^^^^^^well that makes ALLLLL the difference in the world..lol... being a gmt400 site and your screen name we where under the assumption it was for a 94....

Yea I'm sorry I should have put more info! My bad

So if the bar was flush with the back of the key is that enough of a seat to be safe?? Could it ever shift? The instructions don't mention anything and things I try to google comes up with nothing about how far the bar needs to be through the key and if it needs to touch the back of the cross member, just say insert till the bar seats properly in the key

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no it doesn't have to be all the way against the crossmember. I usually put them close but not touching. just make sure it is definitely all the way through the key and you should be good.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
no it doesn't have to be all the way against the crossmember. I usually put them close but not touching. just make sure it is definitely all the way through the key and you should be good.

I'm through all the way on both, wasn't sure if I needed more, was comparing it to my 05 sierra and it only has a bit more bar sticking through the key, noticed they are a bit cockeyed too compared to the 02