Leveling Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice! Do you remember how much gap you had between the upper control arm and droop stop once you raised it? And how was your ride quality?

BerHntr

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
x11teen... go with 285's. The 265's just look small. FWIW I've ran 285's, 34x10.5, 33x12.5 with and without 2" spacers, and am currently running a 275/65r20 which is I believe like a 34x11. All on very little crank. The truck sits level. None of that squat crap here.

Edit: all of these setups were on various gm oem wheels from newer generation trucks

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Nice! Do you remember how much gap you had between the upper control arm and droop stop once you raised it? And how was your ride quality?

I never measured, sorry.

The ride is/was honestly not great. Pretty rough. I went back to the factory wheels and tire size (245/75/16) and will be de-cranking to stock height at some point. It looks good level but the decrease in ride quality is not worth it IMO.

I don't think the factory size tires look too small either, but that's just my opinion. Here's how it sits now with 245/75/16s cranked to level.

You must be registered for see images

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have to go with those other wheels to fit the 285s?

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I imagine the worst case scenario for clearance is with wheels turned and you hit a large bump or something that compresses the suspension. What's the best way to simulate that at the tire shop before I drive out of there? How do I compress the suspension?

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Your clearance problem will be at the rear of the wheel opening in the fender at or near full lock.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 98 Yukon with t-bar crank and 2" rear block. It sits pretty level. I run 285/75R16 General Grabber AT2 tires on 16x8 Raceline 6 wheels. The only time it ever rubs is at close to full lock and hit a massive bump or dip. Other than that it never rubs

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
It is the backspace or offset of the wheel that factors in to bigger tires rubbing or clearing. The further the tire is away from the hub the more likely it is to rub. In other words the wider the stance, the higher the truck has to sit to clear at full lock. Most or all of the factory wheels are spaced for a narrower track width and keep the tires in far enough that the rear of the fender is outside and away from the tire when you turn the steering wheel.