Leveling Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know there's a lot of info out there but the more I read the more confused I get. I have a 99 classic body K1500 Suburban. I'd like to run 285/75/16s. I've been thinking I'd go up 2" front and back. My trouble is the vehicle is sitting fairly level. Does this mean previous owner has already cranked the torsion bars or swapped keys? Is there a simple way to tell. Also, if it takes a couple inches in the front just to level it and you go up 2" in the back then you really need 4" in the front for level?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's sitting level then the previous owner most likely cranked the bars.

Side note, if that's the case then you can run 285/75/16s at the height you're at now with no rubbing. I did it on my '97 K1500 Suburban for years.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. So if I want to go up 2" in the back for looks then does that mean I should get a 4" lift for the front to keep it level?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes. Not sure why you would want to with 285/75/16s though, they'll look tiny.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have 265 now and they fill the wells pretty good. I thought if I go a little larger it will look like too much tire. Like I said, it gets confusing. Is there an easy way to tell if the torsion keys have already been swapped?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wouldn't matter if they had been. Aftermarket keys are a complete waste of money on these trucks. They won't let you go any higher than the stock ones.

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
See, more confusion. Most people say keys are the way to go. Can you Explain? I want to do this right the first time.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
See, more confusion. Most people say keys are the way to go. Can you Explain? I want to do this right the first time.

You can crank so high with the stock keys that you're sitting on the upper bump stops. Aftermarket keys won't help you with that. (And if you go that high, you're killing your front end) Third post of this thread explains it pretty well.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/any-downside-to-bump-stops.22790/

Lots of good info in here as well.

http://www.gmt400.com/threads/torsion-bar-lift-key-answer-thread.20546/

Long and short of it is, don't crank more than 2".

BOWHNT

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the links. After lots of research it sounds like the only good options to maintain decent ride quality is a slight crank on the torsion bars or go with a full blown $1000 4"-6" lift. Since I don't want to go that high I'll just play with the bars a little to get things level. Next will be to see if the 285/75/16 will fit or stay with the smaller 265.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Next will be to see if the 285/75/16 will fit or stay with the smaller 265.

No problem.

Trust me though, you'll be fine cranked 2" with 285/75/16s. I ran that exact setup on the exact same truck for a long time. No rubbing under any circumstances.

You must be registered for see images attach