Let's talk spider injection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, so I stumbled upon something I found very interesting. I know I will be upgrading the spider in both my 97 Z71 and my 99 Tahoe eventually so I have been doing my research well ahead of time. Now I know the OE system is poppets and the replacement is upgraded to actual injectors, while still in stock configuration.

Here is where it gets interesting. No one has mentioned a change in fuel pressure when using the Delphi unit which now sells for about $400, but if using the Standard brand unit apparently there is a several PSI drop at the injector. This unit though can be had for almost half the cost.

So question is, if this is just a FPR issue between u it's could the cheaper Standard unit be use and just swap a stock FPR on the assembly to get back to a higher FP??? It would be a cheaper route and the FP difference is the only knock I have seen on the Standard brand unit.

Here are the 2 units in question

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I really have no relevant info here, both of my '97s are still on the stock fuel system with no issues (knock on wood).

I didn't realize these assemblies were so expensive... For that kind of money I'd seriously consider getting a bigger fuel pump and trying out one of the Wynjammer assemblies. Probably not the route you're wanting to go but just a random thought I had.

http://www.wynjammer.com/Vortec_Fuel_Injection_System.html

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Supposedly the stock pump puts out around 100 psi at the injector assembly with a healthy pump and clean filter. It's the FPR mounted on the assembly that regulates it down for the stock poppets. So there should be plenty of pressure to supply say a modern set of 36 or 42lb injectors I would think.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm, after even more digging I have found something I'm gonna look into to confirm but a guy on another forum is saying that Delphi made almost all units available minus the reman units. All other sellers package in their own box and sell units. Not sure how accurate that is but this person claims the BWD unit from Oriellys is a Delphi unit sold to Borger Warner who just repackaged and resold. If so those only run $300 and I could get it locally and use my Oriellys perks to save a few extra bucks and have a local parts house incase of parts issues.

You would think by now it would be easier to find point blank information on this but alot of the info is older and some is outdated since new part have been made, discontinued or revised over the years.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Hes probably right, that Delphi unit did not cost that much 3-4 years back. I think they cranked the price up over the name. I bought the Delphi Unit years back and it was around the same price as the AC Delco Unit at the time. I sure **** wouldn't pay that price now.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Delphi supposedly makes their own in the US but some (or maybe most) of the components are sourced elsewhere. The Delco unit could literally be the Standard unit in a different box. Delco makes nothing. They just rebox things made by other manufacturers. All that said, my first choice would be the Delphi. Second choice would be the Delco because at least it is supposed to conform to a certain standard. The price difference between the Delco and the others is too close to quibble over.
No idea if the regulators can be swapped. Not worth it in my opinion.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I tried three different MPFI setups to get one that worked. First Sorenson, then Standard, then Delphi. In that order. I did not try a Delco because it was not an available to me option at the time. I'd stay away from anything but Delphi, because of what I observed on my truck. With the way the L31 is so picky about ignition parts, I've concluded it's the same for fuel system parts.

IiRC, the Wynjammer spiders call for certain walbro pumps, which are hotter than stock.

My advice, this is not a part you can cheap out on.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remember also that the conversion requires a new mounting bracket and not all the options include one. I think the $20 bracket puts some of the cheaper options at the same price as the Delco.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I got the injector spider from the one picture of Amazon, the Delphi. Haven't had a problem with it, fixed my engine problems, runs like a champ now.

I recommend the Delphi, even though it's more money, it might be better in the long haul.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I wonder if Borger Warner started buying their spider assemblies from Delphi too?? Apparently there has been several occasions that people have unboxed the BDW unit to find it stamped Delphi and supposedly even though Oriellys shows no bracket or gasket some report it in fact had those in the box upon opening.

I think I'm gonna go up to the oriellys by my house if they have one in stock and ask the guys to see it. If it's marked Delphi as some have stated, I'll save the extra $100+ and spend it elsewhere.

I probably won't make it by there today, probably be this weekend. I'll report what I find out.