Keep K&N or sell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a K&N cai for my 99 5.7 suburban that I took off. I replaced it with the factory intake and deleted the vortec box and did the tb blade mod.
Since I haven't been able to sell it I have been thinking about putting the K&N back on. Does anyone have a dyno sheet of the K&N compared to the stock intake to see how much extra, if any, horsepower the K&N adds?
Should I put it back on? Need opinions.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sell it. They're overpriced junk. The factory intake is better in almost every way. This is coming from someone who also has an FIPK on one of my trucks. If I could find the damn box that I put my factory V6 intake in my K&N would be long gone.

At the very least if you decide to put it back in, ditch the K&N filter. They don't filter well at all, and if you over-oil them even a little bit they can wreak havoc on your MAF sensor by leaking oil into the tube. I run an Amsoil EA conical filter on mine, same exact dimensions as the original K&N.

EDIT - As far as dyno numbers, you're not going to find anything except the numbers that K&N themselves post. Reason being is that you're not going to get any extra power at all. K&N definitely massages those dyno charts to sell more product. The factory intakes flow more than plenty for these engines.

chrmaka

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sell it. They're overpriced junk. The factory intake is better in almost every way. This is coming from someone who also has an FIPK on one of my trucks. If I could find the damn box that I put my factory V6 intake in my K&N would be long gone.

At the very least if you decide to put it back in, ditch the K&N filter. They don't filter well at all, and if you over-oil them even a little bit they can wreak havoc on your MAF sensor by leaking oil into the tube. I run an Amsoil EA conical filter on mine, same exact dimensions as the original K&N.

EDIT - As far as dyno numbers, you're not going to find anything except the numbers that K&N themselves post. Reason being is that you're not going to get any extra power at all. K&N definitely massages those dyno charts to sell more product. The factory intakes flow more than plenty for these engines.

This x100

Also adding to with the K&N you'll see higher IAT's as well. For me on a good day I'm looking at low 90's IAT with the fifk and with the stock box its about 5 degrees lower.

Flow wise you wont see any difference in a stock motor, Just stick in a decent filter into the stock intake setup, Here's a few of my recommendations:

AFE Pro Dry:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/afe-11-10005/overview/year/1996/make/gmc/model/c1500

Airaid SynthaMax:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aid-801-396/overview/year/1996/make/gmc/model/c1500

Green Filters Factory Replacement:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gre-2007/overview/year/1996/make/gmc/model/c1500

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I'm going to run the k&n intake with the amsoil Ea filter, and make an enclosed box that seals to the fender similar to the Volant's box.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
K&n's are great. Nothing else on the market allows more dirt to sucked into the engine. It even says more HP and mpg right on the box. What else could a person want?:manos:

TrailBlazerZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id sell and get the Volant Powercore intake. its fully enclosed, and the Donaldson air filters are bar none the best air filters i have ever used. Same filter design that Ive put in everything from pickup to contruction equipment

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I'm going to run the k&n intake with the amsoil Ea filter, and make an enclosed box that seals to the fender similar to the Volant's box.

For the effort and money involved, why? Those Amsoil Ea filters aren't cheap, and by the time you factor in what your time is worth you'd probably be money ahead selling the K&N and using the money for a Volant.

Like I said, the only reason I'm running a K&N with the Ea filter is because I physically can't find my stock intake.