K2500 to K3500 dually front brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlK89EXLB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey everyone I made a upgrade that I could not find much information for and may help someone running into the same issues so mods, please put this where it could be most helpful...

After buying new rotors and discovering my calipers no longer fit I started searching parts to find what happened.
Apparently my '88-93ish K2500 was converted into a dually awhile back by the P.O.
It was originally a 90 K2500 350TBI 8600GVW with the 9.5" 14bolt non floater

All the dually 88-94 K3500s have 1.5" width rotors and 3+" piston caliper. My truck (as do all 88-94 K2500 8600GVWs) has the smaller 1.25" width rotor and 2-5/16" piston caliper. The P.O. simple added the dually hub adapter to the studs and bolted on the wheel. So to my surprise my dually parts did not fit my dually.

After much parts referencing and measuring I found it's a simple upgrade to the larger parts but you have to use the larger pads, rotors, calipers together. the larger caliper and pads will fit over the smaller 1.25" rotor but you will use allot of piston stroke before pad contact is even made and would probably feel like stepping in jello.

All told I spent $250 ($325 w. core charges) to get rotors 1/4" thicker and pads 15% larger and calipers with a 40% bigger piston surface.

There is a difference in brake lines. you can bend the factory K2500 8600GVW lines slightly to clear the CV shaft or buy K3500 DUALLY front brake lines. The larger caliper has a different location that brings the line down farther.

Hopefully this is useful to all of you K2500 guys trying to figure out how to get thicker less warping prone rotors, or any of you trying to convert or dealing with a converted K2500-K3500 dually.

Pics Below.
You must be registered for see images attach

- No weak half ton junk here :headbang:
- new K2500 pads next to new K3500 Dually pads

Lsp1369

Reaction score
I don't see why it wouldn't, it's the same front suspension.

Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't sure i'd get one right away with the OP being almost 2 years old.

I have a 95 k2500 suburban and would like to switch to the larger 1ton dually front brakes..

Whitehoe

The Big Bad Tahoe
Reaction score
With the new calipers will I need the dually spacers? I have a non dually k2500 that I would love to do this on but want to make sure I get all the right parts. in the picture it just looks close to where the rim would bolt up.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
With the new calipers will I need the dually spacers? I have a non dually k2500 that I would love to do this on but want to make sure I get all the right parts. in the picture it just looks close to where the rim would bolt up.

The rotor gets pressed up against the backside of the hub, and the dually spacer goes on the outside of the hub.

On my truck, a 98, there is no difference in part number's for 2500 or 3500 brake parts. I just tell them at Autozone I have a 3500, so that I don't get any 1/2 ton parts lol.

Lsp1369

Reaction score
So I finally pulled the trigger and upgraded the rotors, pads and calipers to the 1 ton dually parts.. I also upgraded the brake lines to braided stainless.. everything bolted up perfect.

The only issue I'm having is no matter how many times I bleed the brakes in sequence, I can't seem to get rid of the spongy pedal. (Was not spongy prior to the swap). I can't find any leaks in the system and I'm suspecting the master cylinder is the issue. Is there a difference in the 3/4 vs 1 ton master cylinder that would help with this??

I've also read the posts about removing the "dump valve".

Any suggestions would be appreciated.. I'm kinda stuck at this point. The suburban stops but I wouldn't want to risk it on the freeway..

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
The dually caliper piston is larger. You will need a larger master cylinder bore to compensate.
It has been covered many times upgrading just one aspect of the brake system as engineered can cause severe problems and actually be a down grade.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will this configuration fit under 16" wheels without the dually spacer, or is it too big? I need to redo my front brakes and this would be a great upgrade if they will fit.