K1500 4x4 to 4x2?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckee19

Reaction score
So I'm planing on a ls swap for my truck and I wana do a 2wd conversion if it's possible. A lot of people are telling me to just lower and make it fast as a 4x4. But that's just more **** to break.

I was wondering if I could bolt on 2wd spindles and get rid of the front axle. I would have the torsion bar suspension and shock still only thing different would be there isn't a cv axle there.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you plan on getting rid of the transfer Case too? If you want to just scrap the front end and axles you will need to keep the axle stubs in the hubs to hold the wheel bearings together. I would lookinto getting a 2wd chassis to start with. What do you have now? RCSB ECSB RCLB Some chassis are easier to find than others and are not that expensive.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Entirely a pointless conversion.. why put all the work into making a 4x4 into a "2wd" when you can just buy a 2wd truck to do the swap to. There's only gonna be more **** to break if you're not taking care of it, because even with an ls motor your transfer case and front diff. can handle it just fine.

My personal opinion, I'd rather have a fast 4x4, I've experienced some damn good fun 4wd launching in races against other trucks, almost took down a 6.7 Cummins in some dirt drags but he jumped and refused to try again lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truckee19

Reaction score
I was hoping I could just Bolt on 2wd spindles ditch all the 4x4 system and run a 454 or ls engine with th400 d60 or 14bolt

A 4x4 would be fun and help with launches but so much more more money and more likely to break when letting the transbrake go.

And I like my truck so didn't wana swap chassis or sell for a 2wd.
Seen some people talking about the nbs nuckles on obs they used to run there 4x4. But the nbs knuckles are the same with 4x4 and 4x2.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
id be willing to bet that your cv shafts or u joints let go before anything else. Buy one at autozone with a lifetime warrenty and problem solved. The front diff and t case will take all the power you can give them out of a production ls or 454.

That being said, since it sounds like you want to go pretty much full drag truck (ie; trans brake) why not just build your own front suspension? Or order a kit from jegs? It could cut down alot on weight and the handling would be better depending on the quality of the build. Itll also be less work then swapping your body on a 2wd frame.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
id be willing to bet that your cv shafts or u joints let go before anything else. Buy one at autozone with a lifetime warrenty and problem solved. The front diff and t case will take all the power you can give them out of a production ls or 454.

That being said, since it sounds like you want to go pretty much full drag truck (ie; trans brake) why not just build your own front suspension? Or order a kit from jegs? It could cut down alot on weight and the handling would be better depending on the quality of the build. Itll also be less work then swapping your body on a 2wd frame.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Smoke shows are better with 2 wheel drive as said less stuff to genade. I am glad I grew out of all that fun.

Truckee19

Reaction score
I don't wana swap chassis or build a front end. Just wana know if it can be done. Either obs 2wd spindle or nbs knuckle/spindle/ brake swap??