K&N filter fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Have ran k&n drop in in my 96 5.7 vortec and noticed mpg decrease switched to paper filter today. How do I clean the maf? Should I clean the maf? What else should I clean

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, you probably should clean the MAF and the inside of your intake tubing. Use MAF cleaner ONLY, anything else will screw up the sensor permanently. They should have cans of it at just about any local parts store.

You must be registered for see images attach

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Yes, you probably should clean the MAF and the inside of your intake tubing. Use MAF cleaner ONLY, anything else will screw up the sensor permanently. They should have cans of it at just about any local parts store.

You must be registered for see images attach
Do I need to clean any other sensors? What about the throttle body?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Do I need to clean any other sensors? What about the throttle body?

I seriously doubt anything made it up to the throttle body, but you can certainly check while you have everything apart. I don't think there are any other sensors in the intake tube, are there?

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
I seriously doubt anything made it up to the throttle body, but you can certainly check while you have everything apart. I don't think there are any other sensors in the intake tube, are there?
I thought there were but I'm not sure lol I'll look into cleaning it tomorrow. I put a Purolator one filter in today and reset computer with battery terminal and it picks up better. Still have the k&n gonna see how much better my mpg gets. Gonna use paper from now on probably though.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The best repair for a k@n is the trash can. They were made for keeping birds from flying down the intake in the 1/4 mile, not keeping dirt out . Hold one up to the light someday and look at all the holes for dirt and sand to fit through. That, and the oil is obviously not good on sensors.

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
The best repair for a k@n is the trash can. They were made for keeping birds from flying down the intake in the 1/4 mile, not keeping dirt out . Hold one up to the light someday and look at all the holes for dirt and sand to fit through. That, and the oil is obviously not good on sensors.
Agreed

jw_96

96 K1500
Reaction score
Cleaned the MAF today. Reset computer. HUGE difference in throttle response and power. I highly recommend cleaning the MAF to anyone that has never cleaned it before. I used a can of MAF cleaner I only got one can but I should've gotten 2. Just spray it don't touch anything on the maf.