Just Purchased a New-to-me Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Misterspock93

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just bought a 1998 Chevy K1500 truck for $5500 with 245k miles on it. I must admit, it was a snap purchase, but it was a one-owner truck with a 5.7L, 4x4 with a 5 speed manual transmission, and I was scared it would disappear if I walked away to think about it. It sounds pretty good, except for what sounds like a pulley whining in the engine somewhere (no blue smoke, puts down plenty of power, etc.) I'm pretty sure the older guy who owned it had babied the thing. I kept the '05 Nissan Altima I'd been driving what needs a new power steering pump, and now I'm hoping I can work on it with a backup vehicle (the truck).

Anyway, I'm new to these trucks and I was wondering if you guys had any input on taking care of a high miles truck of this particular vintage. What sorts of things do I need to watch out for, what kind of fuel do I need to use/avoid, is there anything special about the 4x4 system I need to be aware of, and so on. I'm handy enough I think I can do most repairs myself with a little sage advice. I'd appreciate your comments and thoughts. Hopefully I can upload some pictures in a bit.

Thanks!