Just bought a 92 Silverado. Exhaust questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So i just bought this 92 Silverado and i had my mom following me home, and noticed in my rear view mirror that light black greyish color smoke was coming out of the exhaust. Also after i arrived home and started it up it stunk really bad. Is this just because of how old the truck is or is there an issue? Currently haven't taken it to a mechanic for an inspection. I still need to register and insure it. I plan on taking it to the mechanic on friday.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
If the smoke is black, its probably running rich, which can be caused by a number of things, tune up, sensors, etc. If its got a blue tint to it, that would mean its burning oil, either valves or rings. I know it would be hard to say over the interwebs, but can you be a little more specific with the smell? If its a rotten egg smell, thats the converter. If its more like a vehicle with no exhaust, it probably just doesn't have a converter

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the smoke is black, its probably running rich, which can be caused by a number of things, tune up, sensors, etc. If its got a blue tint to it, that would mean its burning oil, either valves or rings. I know it would be hard to say over the interwebs, but can you be a little more specific with the smell? If its a rotten egg smell, thats the converter. If its more like a vehicle with no exhaust, it probably just doesn't have a converter
Well the engine has been rebuilt. It has about 60k on the rebuilt engine. I would think that it shouldn't be burning oil. I mean, the best way to describe the smell would be dirty exhaust fumes.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
if you have a somewhat full exhaust, i'm willing to bet there is no converter, or its blown out/ hollow then. As for the smoke then, i'd say running rich.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems like it ought to throw a CEL if it's rich enough to smoke.
I have already discovered that it burns oil. I got pretty screwed over on my purchase. I throw a check engine light when i drive it for quite a long time. My guess is that it has something to do with the smoke passing the cat. Currently looking for an engine for it.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's a old thread but it just might be bad valve guide seals there is a way in checking them out.

Diego0123005

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it's a old thread but it just might be bad valve guide seals there is a way in checking them out.
Yea threads old. The motor started to knock. I'm just taking care of the truck as much as I can, so I can get as much life out of the motor.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Use a thicker oil like Castrol synthetic blend and some type of oil treatment as well it just might help good luck.

When you replace the engine look into a GM crate motor or pick up a LS engine with low miles to get the truck to move.