Junk Truck?????????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

97ttpuller

Reaction score
I'm a newbee to this forum and towing travel trailers. Here is what I have: 2014 Travel Star Expandable Trailer JUST weighed on certified scale at 3915lbs. I got a 1997 Chevy Silverado 4X4 5.7L 136,231 miles about a month ago to pull that trailer.

I drove the truck around for about a month before I got the trailer. It seemed to be running GREAT but has excessive fan noise like the fan clutch is locked up. Empty on flat land the truck has plenty of power and runs very good. Our first trip to the mountains without the trailer the truck did OK but seemed to work allot harder than my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee up the grades. I heard the fan roar constantly and the Truck downshifted WAY more to hold 75mph than the Jeep.

Gas mileage wasn't bad I got 14.9mpg running 75-80mph up lots of grades, most grades where long and gradual but 2 are 4-5%. The truck ran good other that the fan roar and constant downshifting. My truck DOES NOT HAVE TOW/HAUL, so I just kept it in "D".

Now comes the part that made me puke!!!!!! We picked up the trailer and WTF????? The trailer turned that truck into a gutless gas guzzling POS!!!!!!!!!! I drove the Truck Trailer combo home from the mountains a 225 mile trip it used 35.7 gallons of gas. The truck did HORRIBLE!!!! Most of the trip is down hill and the truck ABSOLUTELY STRUGGLED just to keep 65mph. The gas mileage dropped to 6.3mpg, I had no power even the Semi's where blowing me away on the grades we did have. On the grades I had to put the flashers on and floor the truck just to get 45-50mph. I was shocked a V8 was so completely gutless.

Did I get screwed on the truck????? I was absolutely disgusted with how poorly the truck preformed with that light of a trailer. That model trailer is advertized as being light enough to be pulled by a mid sized truck or SUV. Most of the vehicles listed as comparable for that trailer had V6's. Just for s and grins I tried pulling that trailer a short distance with my Jeep. The tongue weight did terribly squat the rear end of the Jeep, but it did not seem to work my Jeep any harder that that truck. My Jeep has a straight 6 4.0L engine and it did not seem to work any harder to pull the trailer up a few grades around home.

My question is this: Is that 5.7 Chevy 350 just a gutless stone engine, or is something wrong with my truck. I checked the Cats with my scan tool and They check out good, voltage jumps Rich, Lean, .845-.110 constantly on the upstream O2 sensors on both banks. The down stream O2 Sensors hold nice and steady at around .460 V. I did this test yesterday at full temp at 2000rpm and Idle.

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What gears do you have? If you have like 3.08 or even 3.42 it will feel pretty gutless when towing.

Also a bad fan clutch can suck some power away. But you would feel that all the time.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
How long is this trailer? Why ru towing in D on steep grades? Your using a half ton truck to pull a travel trailer up steep grades what do you expect? And why wouldn't a semi pull up a hill better than you that's what they're made for.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I just pulled a trailer the other day, with my 5.0L vortec, haven't calculated the mileage or weighed it in at the scrapyard, but I expect that the load was around 6500 pounds on top of the trailer weight at 2300, so around 8800 pounds. More than it's rated at towing, and was outside my 'comfort zone' but it did it, and trans temp wasn't through the roof.

I have 3.73 gearing with 30.5" tall rubber and the 4L60E. I let the truck slow down on the hills a bit in order to not 'abuse' the transmission, when lifting off, I left it in manual 1st position, then shifted to 2nd, and then D.

On one hill, I downshifted to 2nd prior to starting the climb and left it spinning happily away at 4K rpm.

It should tow that load without much problem at all, heck I towed [illegally] 2300 pounds on a single axle trailer behind my 89 Honda Accord previously ( in 4th gear ) had no problems maintaining 90 kms, dropping to around 80 kms/hr on hills with a run at the bottom.

What should be noted is that aerodynamic drag quadruples when speed is doubled, so if you try and pull something at 75 mph vs 50, the drag is doubled, which means that you must have more power to overcome the drag. It may not be the weight you were fighting, but the wind and the cross-sectional area of the trailer.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Said trailer: one 1997 Lumina, one 8 foot truck box, 3 extra engines, one Chevy I-6, a Ford V8, and a Ford V6, one hot water heater, a few rims, a snowblower, and the car has some stuffing as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

97ttpuller

Reaction score
How long is this trailer? Why ru towing in D on steep grades? Your using a half ton truck to pull a travel trailer up steep grades what do you expect? And why wouldn't a semi pull up a hill better than you that's what they're made for.

I HATE when people can't/don't read an entire post and spout out useless garbage. I WAS GOING DOWN HILL MOST OF THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I expect a V8 truck to easily maintain 65mph towing a trailer rated for a 6cyl. I KEPT THE TRUCK IN D ON THE WAY UP WITHOUT THE TRAILER!!!!!!!! Please read the entire post before answering. I'm not trying to be rude just looking for USEFUL information

97ttpuller

Reaction score
Where you able to go 60-65 with all that weight? That is WAY more weight than I'm pullin but not much drag.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I HATE when people can't/don't read an entire post and spout out useless garbage. I WAS GOING DOWN HILL MOST OF THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I expect a V8 truck to easily maintain 65mph towing a trailer rated for a 6cyl. I KEPT THE TRUCK IN D ON THE WAY UP WITHOUT THE TRAILER!!!!!!!! Please read the entire post before answering. I'm not trying to be rude just looking for USEFUL information

We are not gona get along and I don't mind. bottom Line sounds like your truck has some high gears or isn't properly maintained. Btw the caps lock and exclamation points make you look stupid.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

I pull stuff like this all the time on 35s with a tbi at 65-70

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
Something aint right with your truck. I would get the clutch fan changed and a good tune up. That might be all thats wrong.

I have pretty much the same truck. It gets 15-16 mpg by itself and averages about 10 with the trailer. I use 3rd gear only when towing, no OD. Also it has 3.73 gears, which if you have the towing package, yours should also have

You must be registered for see images attach

Just to add.....Trailer tires are rated at 65 mph....MAX

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.