Jasons '90 GMC Z71 Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Byersjas

Reaction score
Figured I had better start a build thread for my truck since I'm getting older and forgetting things. Haven't done much to it since buying it in March, 2015 ($400), but hopefully that will start to change, as it needs A LOT of work.

You must be registered for see images attach

Byersjas

Reaction score
Had an itch to do SOMETHING to the truck (since it isn't currently road worthy), so I removed the valve covers and painted them yesterday. Stupid me forgot to take a "Before" pic, so here is an after prep, but before primer/paint pic. Couldn't get all the nastiness off of them, but it's a marked improvement over what they were.

Byersjas

Reaction score
Here are the "After" pics of the valve covers. Not brand new looking by any means, but at least they're all black again. Probably haven't looked like that for the past 200K miles (over 300K currently). Still need to get a pic of them back on the engine. Coming soon... (Note to self: Clean the friggin' garage.)

Byersjas

Reaction score
Pics of the engine bay (with the freshly painted valve covers). Forgot I had painted the air cleaner cover last fall. Probably do the housing next.

Byersjas

Reaction score
While I was snapping underhood pics, realized I didn't have any of the interior. Kind of crappy pics with the sun beating down right now.

Byersjas

Reaction score
Before and during pics of the air cleaner housing paint job.

Byersjas

Reaction score
After pics of the air cleaner housing.

Byersjas

Reaction score
Air cleaner housing back on the engine. Just like the valve covers, not super nice, but better than it was before.

Byersjas

Reaction score
Got the truck to start last night! Originally thought I had a broken (rusted) fuel line, so all winter it sat, untouched, undriven. Upon further research, I discovered it was technically a fuel line, but not a send/receive line, but rather a vent line that led to a vapor canister (did I mention I'm a newbie when it comes to working on vehicles?). So I dumped a little gas in the tank, charged the battery, and after a few cranking attempts, it fired up! Wahoo! Still can't drive it, due to the blown brake line (this I am sure of), but I was proud of myself figuring it out on my own (small victories get me thru the days). More excited than ever to start working on it now! Video of the motor running/exhaust sound here (sorry about the wandering around/weird camera placement).

Byersjas

Reaction score
New rotors, calipers, and pads put on the front yesterday. Couldn't get the hoses that run to the calipers loose, so I left the old ones on for now. I hadn't noticed any leaking from there (yet, I'm sure). My buddy has far more tools/tricks than I do, so hopefully be able to get those off next time I have the truck at his place, which could be this weekend to do the new fuel tank install, brake line replacement, and welding on the frame (a few spots have rusted all the way through).