Is there a easy way to quickly bypass the NSS on a 4l60e?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrAdam

Reaction score
Been having start issues off and on and since I don't drive this truck daily (my wife does) it has been a bear for me to diag; but I think this mornings issues are pointing towards the neutral safety switch.

1997 Suburban 1500

On cool or cold mornings she would go out and turn the key, everything lights up but the starter will not engage. The first time we had issues with this it turned out to be dirty and loose battery cables, however that is not the case now and she still randomly has issues. This morning it happened and I had her put the truck in Neutral and it started right up; this indicates to me the Starter and Battery are fine and we are looking at something up stream. I was questioning the ignition switch but since shifting to neutral resolved it this morning I am now suspect of the NSS.

She dropped the last kid off at daycare and went to start the truck and it would not start in any gear, she is not mechanically inclined and she was a block from work so I told her to leave it.

Two questions:

Is it normal for these to just lose adjustment?

Can I bypass the NSS without cutting anything?

Looks like I just need to jump the Purple and Green wires in the plug at the NSS but I prefer not to hack the harness up.

$60 local or $30 offline for a new NSS and I would like to eliminate this from the system for a week or so to see if we continue to have issues or not as I am still not sure about the ignition switch. The column needs rebuilt but I would like to wait and do that in the spring if the ignition switch is not the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
is your colum wobbly and loose? if it is then your problem is in there most likely.

MrAdam

Reaction score
It is not, and as it turns out it was the damn battery cables again! This is getting a big 3 and converted to posts next spring if I can wait that long, very irritating. I do still have some issues related to the NSS though.

Kingjames

Reaction score
The nss hardly ever goes out check the shift cable and make sure it's going all the way forward are adjust the switch with the 2 bolts on side of trans if you have someone who can tune (hp tuners) they can just tune it out

MrAdam

Reaction score
So far it appears our problem is back to the battery cables, really irritating. Last night I spent some time and cut the rubber away front the ends of both positive cables and cleaned up the corrosion; corrosion really wasn't that bad but the truck started this morning without issue so it must have been bad enough. Still seems odd that the other morning shift to neutral and in the past shaking the shifter got it to start so I am still thinking we have two separate start issues.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before getting too crazy try this one
Next time it won’t start take your dumper cables and clip it to the starter (use negative side) and the other end (negative again) clip it to a good clean section on the frame. See if it’ll start
Had a buddy of mine lose ground on the starter
Usually bolts the the motor/tranny and gets a good ground there but if your truck has a slight oil leak over time it’ll sneak down in there and make it lose connection and tinkering with the cables and putting it in N and allowing in to roll back makes it easier on the starter so it doesn’t full draw
But I swear I yanked the starter down cleaned the bolts and mating surfaces and it fired up no issues
His ole lady was DDing that one too so it was paramount we got it running for her

I only mention it because he was the same way sometimes N works rolling it back a bit
Sometimes tightening the cables worked
Sometimes jumping it worked
But the issues were grounding at the starter

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far it appears our problem is back to the battery cables, really irritating. Last night I spent some time and cut the rubber away front the ends of both positive cables and cleaned up the corrosion; corrosion really wasn't that bad but the truck started this morning without issue so it must have been bad enough. Still seems odd that the other morning shift to neutral and in the past shaking the shifter got it to start so I am still thinking we have two separate start issues.

FWIW - Sounds like the cables are due to be changed, once corrosion is inside the cable jacket it will run the length of the cable. I had a friend that changed his out but used brass studs that screwed in the battery instead of the regular terminals. He never had another problem.