Interested in 2 Wheel Drive Low - is it possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

squeasel

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1996 Tahoe 5.7L with 4WD controlled by the dash push buttons (2 Hi, 4 Hi, 4 Lo on two separate buttons). Occasionally it would be nice to access 2 Wheel Drive Low. Is this possible? Easy? While keeping 4WD?

Thanks in advance.

RPF207

Reaction score
t case HAS to be shifted into 4 lo obviously so obviously the front driveshaft HAS spin. Only possibility of two low would be if the front diff doesn't send power to either wheel when power is cut to the actuator on the front diff.

squeasel

Reaction score
@RPF207 ... Much thanks ... an actuator cut switch seems reasonable. This is not something that is needed often but sometimes you get a heavy trailer and a tight spot.

Jgebauer

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1996 Tahoe 5.7L with 4WD controlled by the dash push buttons (2 Hi, 4 Hi, 4 Lo on two separate buttons). Occasionally it would be nice to access 2 Wheel Drive Low. Is this possible? Easy? While keeping 4WD?

Thanks in advance.
Squeasel,

The posi-lok manual cable system that replaces your actuator will allow you to run 4-lo.

http://4x4posi-lok.com/

Pretty easy install. Think I put mine on my '97 in about 2hrs or so while having a beer.

MarkZ28

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure its possible in that style transfer case. On my FJ40 Landcruiser and probably the old CJ Jeep with gear drive transfer cases, you could cut a slit in the transfer case shifter guide and could easily get 2 low, 4 low, 4 high, 2 high. Probably even the old 205 case. There are 2 different shafts that control what it does, using linkages activated by a shifter. The newer chain drives and especially the electronic versions have a motor that spins one shaft. Not sure it can be done on those.