Intake Gasket Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
Great write up, Im ramping up and collecting parts to do this job on my truck.

Looks like I may ad new heater hoses to the list. I dont wanna cut it, and if there that fragile taking them off Id rather put new ones in!

Albertcriss

Reaction score
Very nice! I'm about to put a new intake gasket on my 94 Mustang, 3.8 liter V6, just ordered the part, but the picture only shows one gasket, which is metal. Not sure what else there may be to it, guess I will find out soon!

Mudgopher

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the write up. Just went through the trouble of installing a new distributor and now I have a coolant leak. I hate doing things twice but that's the way it goes.

mary7654

Reaction score
Intake Manifold

I have this job of new intake manifold gasket. There is this thin metal in the valley of the engine that is held in place by three bolts. what is it and what happens when i loosen the three bolts.
You must be registered for see images attach

lovell11b

Reaction score
Intake Manifold

I have this job of new intake manifold gasket. There is this thin metal in the valley of the engine that is held in place by three bolts. what is it and what happens when i loosen the three bolts.
That's the Lifter retainer tray. Nothing will happen if you unbolt it. if you pull the lifters then you need to along with rocker arms. If you are just wanting to clean under it you wont have a problem un bolting it.

Velislide

Reaction score
Under my lifter tray, it was so gunked up with black tar-like oil, I had to use a gasket scraper to scoop out the gunk, was like sand and grease mixed together, so bad lol. I'm amazed my truck runs as good as it does. Once warmed up, motor is as quiet as can be with great power.

The girl I bought it from probably never changed the oil once in the 10 years she had it, by the looks of it.

Jules083

Reaction score
Got a question for the experts.

99 K2500, 5.7 vortec, 111,000 miles.

Loses about a half gallon of antifreeze per 600 miles. Just changed oil, it came out perfect. No evidence of antifreeze. Front of the motor has drips of antifreeze on it, but can't tell for sure where it's coming from. Steering damper had a few drops hanging off it. Pressure tested the radiator while it was warm. There is a very slow pressure bleed off, but after 3 of us crawled all over with flashlights we gave up on finding a leak. Water pump is not original, no idea how long ago it was changed.

Sound like intake gasket? Anything else I could check? I'm out of ideas other than pull parts off the front of the motor then pressure test again, which I'd have to buy a tester for. This test was done at a local garage.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If there are drops of coolant on the front of the engine, then there IS a leak. So many places, but I'd start at the top of the engine, going down the front methodically. Some of the usual spots are: Thermostat housing,coolant temp sensor, heater out and return hoses and fittings, bypass coolant hose, water pump (weep hole on bottom is worth a check), top rad hose, the rad itself (coolant could be being blown back by fan), front area of intake gaskets, water pump gaskets, bottom rad hose. Need lots of light, and might have to work (safely) with the engine operating.