Installing and correctly setting a vortec distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am getting that code. I was ay 6 codes for smalls things I havent got to yet. After install went to 18.. that code and everything I had to unplug to take the intake off had thrown a code. Tps maf ais ect. I have no clue why. Now I also had two plug wires swapped and corrected that have not reset the codes to see if its been fix or not.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Bricksack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After reading this I have some weustions.
Timing advance and cam positiong retard are totally different things?

A obd2 reader at advance shows my live timing advance was at +24*. Does that need to be dowb to +-2 or is that what im not supposed tk be looking at?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Twisting the distributer one way or the other advances or retards the spark firing according to the position of the pistons. Minute changes are the idea behind that. As small as 1/2 a degree. The plugs should be firing just before the piston reaches TDC.
Advancing or retarding of the cam changes the position of the valves according to the position of the pistons. The valves are opening & closing sooner when installing the cam advanced. Of course, that's the opposite when installing the cam retarded.
Advancing a cam will help to create more power/torque lower in the rpm range.
Retarding it will create more power/torque farther up in the rpm range.
That's the theory I was taught, anyway. I've always just installed them straight up.
You engine gurus can jump in anytime & correct me if I'm wrong!

hiredgun8

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excellent writeup and should prove to be very helpful tomorrow morning.

I wrote this article about setting a vortec distributor and thought it might be useful for y'all. I wrote it and coded the page on the tail end of a 14 hour graveyard shift, so let me know if you find something that needs correction, my brain starts to get fried at those hours.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/distributor.html

atyates

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that. Might have to look into getting one, won't hurt to have one in the long run.

no problem. I had to remove my distributer and couldn't get rid of the camshaft/crankshaft correlation fault code so this showed me cam retard so I could set it. so far its been worth the $250 just not having to get the dealer to set the timing..

gndd1997

Reaction score
Sorry for dragging up an old thread...I have a 97 GMC K2500 with 7.4 Vortec and I'm having a hell of a time putting in a new dist. and I hope you can help since you wrote such a great article at gmtruckcentral.com...I have the two piece aluminum intake and regardless whether a rotate a tooth one way or the other I can't get the dist. to line up as is recommended in every manual, book, ALLDATADIY account and online search...I can't even find images on google that show how the dist. is clocked in relation to the intake. Also, what is the second timing mark on the bottom of the timing cover represent? (approx. 5 o'clock position) I replaced the intake mani. gaskets, injectors (new gen. bosch from 50motorsports) and new dist. from Accel (billet alum. and brass contacts) and I'm having a hell of a time getting the truck to run right...keeps throwing 0300 and 0305 misfire codes then clears but runs crappy with terrible idle and no power when in gear and I've read as many articles as possible but none reference my engine/intake combo nor can I find anything about the second timing mark on the timing cover. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
for any one who is interested I have this scanner that reads cam retard and its fairly cheap at $250
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...Launch-Tech-USA-Inc/_/R-BK_7002929_0434861304

Tony, there seems to be a few different CRP123 models. I can't seem to get an answer as to what the difference is in them and my local Napa doesn't have any of them. Do you still have box for yours? Is there a sku number on it? I just need a scanner that will do my timing on my 98