Installing and correctly setting a vortec distributor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wrote this article about setting a vortec distributor and thought it might be useful for y'all. I wrote it and coded the page on the tail end of a 14 hour graveyard shift, so let me know if you find something that needs correction, my brain starts to get fried at those hours.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/distributor.html

dale_gribble

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Super, super job! I am going to see if my Innovate Motorsports OT-1 reads CMP Retard Offset. I am going to use your instructions soon.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, let me know if it does, the only ones I know that do are EFILive and the TECH2, and I think one of the versions of autoxray can as well, I've heard one of the snapon scanners can too, but I'm not sure which one.

tvrc18

Reaction score
Looks like you are pointing to the six mark and not the eight on the housing.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it's showing how to align the marks before installing so that when the distributor seats, the rotor will rotate to the correct point.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
Do any of you like running advanced timing. I know back in my Mustang days when I was much younger I would run my timing advanced and picked up plenty of power. Most of my car Ive always bought I would run the timing just little bit advanced.
Does any one know a good number to run on 93 octane with out the motor pinging?

Also you dont have to spend hundreds for a live scanner. If you own an Android phone you can buy a Bluetooth scanner. Down load a app that allows you to Read live Data Clear codes ECT.. They go from 15-30$
Its
Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth look for (Ebay). As far as the app im at a loss but look in the market its there and if you resourceful there are ways of obtaining it for free.
This will work with Android Phones and tablets.

Last edited:

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can NOT run timing advance at the distributor on a computer controlled L31 engine, like you could in older engines. the timing advance is completely computer controlled. you need to set the distributor at 0* +- 2* for proper operation, you can change the timing in the PCM with a tune if you have the hardware/software to do so...

also I highly doubt that any phone app will be able to read the CMP offset, its a very specialized GM only sensor that was only used for a few years, there are only a few scanners/loggers that I know of that can read it, the usual run of the mill live data code reader usually doesn't support it. if you have the app and it does allow logging of the CMP offset, let us know, that would be very helpful.

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
you can NOT run timing advance at the distributor on a computer controlled L31 engine, like you could in older engines. the timing advance is completely computer controlled. you need to set the distributor at 0* +- 2* for proper operation, you can change the timing in the PCM with a tune if you have the hardware/software to do so...

also I highly doubt that any phone app will be able to read the CMP offset, its a very specialized GM only sensor that was only used for a few years, there are only a few scanners/loggers that I know of that can read it, the usual run of the mill live data code reader usually doesn't support it. if you have the app and it does allow logging of the CMP offset, let us know, that would be very helpful.

Is this what you're talking about?
You must be registered for see images

Yes, I DO know I'm ~+28° advanced

Device: INC2
ROM: CyanogenMod-9

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I don't have a smart phone but that looks like what he was mentioning....does it read the CMP offset?

TruckinAin4Sissies

L.E.D. Whisperer
Reaction score
I'm not sure, I don't have a smart phone but that looks like what he was mentioning....does it read the CMP offset?

I'm assuming CMP is Cam. Offset correct?
It shows current (live) timing value:
You must be registered for see images

Device: INC2
ROM: CyanogenMod-9