Installing ac into a non ac truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bardo

Reaction score
Hello. Im looking to a 89 c1500 tomorrow. The price is right but I just noticed in the pic that it doesn't have factory ac. Has anyone ever installed an ac unit from another truck into a non ac truck?
Thanks

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Anything is possible if you've got the time, tools, patience and parts. But with these trucks, a non electronic A/C was never available so you'd have to do a lot of wiring to get it to work. My vote is to find a truck with A/C. It's just not worth the effort to put it in yourself.

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
It's not that hard to do. Did it to my truck. Picked up a parts truck for around $300. Dash has to come out. Non ac box and selector come out. You will need to drill the two new holes for the ac core. There are two wires that need to be ran out to the bay. I opt to run them my self in stead of swamping wiring harnesses (they are for the pressure switch and compressor). New box and controller go in and dash gets put back in. Then you are hooking up the components in the bay. Will probably take a good two full days to do(pulling two dashes and reinstalling one).

Bardo

Reaction score
Ok. I've been working on cars for years but this will me the first time working on a 400 truck. Has anyone done a write up on dash removal?