Installing a front drive shaft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GrownManChevy

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently picked up a 97 Z71 K1500 with the 4x4 on the floor. I purchased the truck without a front drive shaft and I plan on going down to the LKQ to pick one. This is my first time attempting something like this and I want to know of any major issues I could run into. I've been told to make sure the diff gearings match but outside of that I am clueless.
Can I simply remove a front shaft off of the donor, get a new u joint and hook it up to my truck? Is there any balancing or orientation issues I need to look out for? Thank you very much for any insight.

flintlock

Reaction score
I swapped out mine on my 97 when it went bad on me in just a few minutes. I didn't even replace the ujoints. It takes a little sweet talking but overall fairly easy installation.

GrownManChevy

Reaction score
I swapped out mine on my 97 when it went bad on me in just a few minutes. I didn't even replace the ujoints. It takes a little sweet talking but overall fairly easy installation.
So it is possible for the shaft to just go bad? That's good to know because I had the thought that maybe he was trying to hide some problem with the t-case or something by removing the shaft and selling it without it (he said the yoke went bad but who knows). I am a fairly competent DIY'er but most of my experience is with german cars, not so much with trucks.

All of the online write ups on replacing the drive shaft mentioned that I had to mark the one being removed and make sure it's the same orientation with the one I'm installing. Well since there is no shaft there currently, I didn't know if just slapping a new one in would cause issues.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Maybe one or both u joints went bad on the original driveshaft and the guy didn't want to replace them for whatever reason.I would be sure to get one for a 1500,not a 2500 just to be sure.Maybe they're the same,don't know.As far a clocking it I wouldn't worry as they are balanced before they even see a truck.
Maybe there is a problem with the tc or front diff but you're not going to know if you don't have a driveshaft,I'd be sure to check the fluid level in both and have a good look at both axles and cv joints.

Just sitting here thinking...try putting the tc into 4hi and spin the front yoke by hand,the tires should spin.

Last edited:

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure you get a DS from a truck with NP241 transfer case. Im pretty sure that the push button models had a different shaft. The one you need has a U joint on both ends, not a flange on one end.

Getting it out of the truck may be tricky The shaft is supposed to compress a bit so make sure you bring a pry bar to gently stick in one end and very carefully compress the shaft so at least one end pops out of the yoke. There should be a grease fitting in the middle of it to. Make sure its not broke off.

GrownManChevy

Reaction score
Maybe one or both u joints went bad on the original driveshaft and the guy didn't want to replace them for whatever reason.I would be sure to get one for a 1500,not a 2500 just to be sure.Maybe they're the same,don't know.As far a clocking it I wouldn't worry as they are balanced before they even see a truck.
Maybe there is a problem with the tc or front diff but you're not going to know if you don't have a driveshaft,I'd be sure to check the fluid level in both and have a good look at both axles and cv joints.

Just sitting here thinking...try putting the tc into 4hi and spin the front yoke by hand,the tires should spin.

Great idea on testing the front wheels. Ill put the front up on stands and give it a shot. Am I risking any damage to the TC by engaging it without a drive shaft in there? Probably not, but I just want to make sure

Make sure you get a DS from a truck with NP241 transfer case. Im pretty sure that the push button models had a different shaft. The one you need has a U joint on both ends, not a flange on one end.

Getting it out of the truck may be tricky The shaft is supposed to compress a bit so make sure you bring a pry bar to gently stick in one end and very carefully compress the shaft so at least one end pops out of the yoke. There should be a grease fitting in the middle of it to. Make sure its not broke off.

Thanks a ton for the tips, especially to look for the one with 2 U joint ends. I'll have a partner and some jacks if need be, hopefully we can wrangle that thing out.

Lanny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldnt hurt the T case at all. Just be safe and careful if youre going to run it on jack stands.