In dire need of A/C help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cain Hester

Reaction score
Hey you guys first time posting I think. I've got a 1997 chevy Silverado with 5.7. I'm trying to work through my a/c and get it working but not having much luck. My buddy has a vacuum and freon tank type deal and is helping me out but we're kind of stuck. I've had some people telling me jumping the switch on passenger side of engine bay will make the compressor kick on whether it has freon or not. Mine did not. I'm not getting power with a test light in that plug either. Checked another plug that's near the spot where you fill it with freon on driver side and it had no power either. Wondering if it could be the a/c relay that is bad? When I mash the button inside the only thing that happeneds is it sounds like a door or something opening in the dash so I'm pretty sure the button is working. Checked all fuses and all checked out. The a/c worked when I first got it but the blower motor went out in 2014 and I got around to fixing it winter of 15 and didn't try the a/c until summer and it didn't work. Any help would be appreciated and if anybody else needs some help feel free to chime in aswell!