I'm not buying a 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So let's make an even stronger argument for me to buy a 2500. I desperately want to plow. For many reasons, but mainly, I'm a bored, laid off carpenter that won't see work till the snows gone. What's the best way to keep the front end up? Should I endeavour the 2500 torsion bar swap? Or should I drop the big(er) Bucks amd go timbrens?
You must be registered for see images attach

She sags 3.5" with the plow on. Any ideas?

Edit: would cranking the current torsion bar even farther help?

Welders can weld, and fitters can fit, but the porta-can-man knows his ****.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
So let's make an even stronger argument for me to buy a 2500. I desperately want to plow. For many reasons, but mainly, I'm a bored, laid off carpenter that won't see work till the snows gone. What's the best way to keep the front end up? Should I endeavour the 2500 torsion bar swap? Or should I drop the big(er) Bucks amd go timbrens?
You must be registered for see images attach

If timbrens are an option i would definatly go that route. Maybe turn the torsion bars up a couple more turns for the winter and then when the plow comes off turn them back down to where they were. Ive wanted a plow on my truck for a loooonnnnngggg time. My plan was always to get a set of gabriel air helper shocks (good for 1100lbs) and try to make a couple adaptors to fit them into the stock location. I havnt done alot of research on this so im not sure what it will take but i know they dont make one for the front of our trucks so some fab work is required. If you can figure out a way id love to see how you do it.

http://gabriel.com/light-vehicle/products/hijackers/

Edit: also i should add that im not sure if the stock shock mounts have the structural integrity to support what i want to do with these shocks. This is simply just an idea i have tossed around.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If timbrens are an option i would definatly go that route. Maybe turn the torsion bars up a couple more turns for the winter and then when the plow comes off turn them back down to where they were. Ive wanted a plow on my truck for a loooonnnnngggg time. My plan was always to get a set of gabriel air helper shocks (good for 1100lbs) and try to make a couple adaptors to fit them into the stock location. I havnt done alot of research on this so im not sure what it will take but i know they dont make one for the front of our trucks so some fab work is required. If you can figure out a way id love to see how you do it.

http://gabriel.com/light-vehicle/products/hijackers/

Edit: also i should add that im not sure if the stock shock mounts have the structural integrity to support what i want to do with these shocks. This is simply just an idea i have tossed around.
I was told years ago that it is illegal to run air shocks on a steering axle. I never did confirm if that was true or not.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I was told years ago that it is illegal to run air shocks on a steering axle. I never did confirm if that was true or not.
Im not sure ive never heard that before. I dont see why it would be. Ive seen guys who run bags on their ford and dodge plow trucks but those a sfa. This was my solution for ifs trucks

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not sure ive never heard that before. I dont see why it would be. Ive seen guys who run bags on their ford and dodge plow trucks but those a sfa. This was my solution for ifs trucks
The police officer that told me that said it was because if it suddenly deflated it might cause a sudden loss of control. This was back in the 70's. I wanted to put them on the front of my 4wd Blazer.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
The police officer that told me that said it was because if it suddenly deflated it might cause a sudden loss of control. This was back in the 70's. I wanted to put them on the front of my 4wd Blazer.
Interesting. Ill have to do some looking into that.

Edit: i literally couldnt find anything online. INDOT said it was perfectly legal so idk. I guess i would check with your states DOT officials. It seems like it would be fine since youll still have the t bars to catch it if one blew out. That and people run air bags instead of springs on their lowered trucks.

Last edited:

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting. Ill have to do some looking into that.

Edit: i literally couldnt find anything online. INDOT said it was perfectly legal so idk. I guess i would check with your states DOT officials. It seems like it would be fine since youll still have the t bars to catch it if one blew out. That and people run air bags instead of springs on their lowered trucks.
I agree with you. 4wd GM's had leaf springs in the front back then. Even if the the shock lost all it's air pressure the springs would hold it up. I don't remember the whole conversation I had with him since it's been 35+ years but I know I didn't agree with him or his logic. I don't even know if there was a law like that. Anyway, good luck on your project.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score

Timbrens work great, 2500 bars would also work.

The real main weak link in a 1500, especially in a plow truck, is the 4L60.