I'm not buying a 2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless someone buys it for me, I'm not buying a 2500. I have a 91 k1500, that I tow with, and I'm getting ready to throw a plow on. Here's the problem. I hate it when either end squats. I'm working on getting the rear end sorted out with heavier springs. What I want to know is how to remedy the from sag that's inevitable when I throw a 7.5' plow on. I've heard of 3/4ton torsion bar swaps. Would that be a direct fit? Would I need the keys too? Would it give me any additional lift over the 1/3ton bars (I'm always looking for more lift)? Thanks in advance
You must be registered for see images attach

Welders can weld, and fitters can fit, but the porta-can-man knows his ****.

drewcrew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless someone buys it for me, I'm not buying a 2500. I have a 91 k1500, that I tow with, and I'm getting ready to throw a plow on. Here's the problem. I hate it when either end squats. I'm working on getting the rear end sorted out with heavier springs. What I want to know is how to remedy the from sag that's inevitable when I throw a 7.5' plow on. I've heard of 3/4ton torsion bar swaps. Would that be a direct fit? Would I need the keys too? Would it give me any additional lift over the 1/3ton bars (I'm always looking for more lift)? Thanks in advance

I was in the Pipefitters Union as a welder. The porta-can-man is one of the most important people on any job. I wish I heard your slogan before I retired. Good one, thanks for the laugh.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
3/4 ton tbars will go right in with the factory half ton keys iirc. Keep an eye on the frame just behind the control arms though. Theyre notorious for cracking if you have a plow. I dont think its as big of a problem if you run a boss plow because then it cant bounce up and down when your cruisin down the highway. If i were you i would go with helper bags instead of 3/4 ton leafs. From my experience rcsb trucks ride rough with the tbars turned up like you have and 3/4 ton t bars and leafs will make it worse. Im not trying to steer you away or anything, ive just been there and wished i wouldve done bags. Also a set of timberens and good shocks will help with the plow. Good luck man and post pics! I love me a good ole 400 plow truck.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was in the Pipefitters Union as a welder. The porta-can-man is one of the most important people on any job. I wish I heard your slogan before I retired. Good one, thanks for the laugh.
I'm a union scaffolder and do nothing but turnarounds and outages. The porta-can man is the most important man on site!

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3/4 ton tbars will go right in with the factory half ton keys iirc. Keep an eye on the frame just behind the control arms though. Theyre notorious for cracking if you have a plow. I dont think its as big of a problem if you run a boss plow because then it cant bounce up and down when your cruisin down the highway. If i were you i would go with helper bags instead of 3/4 ton leafs. From my experience rcsb trucks ride rough with the tbars turned up like you have and 3/4 ton t bars and leafs will make it worse. Im not trying to steer you away or anything, ive just been there and wished i wouldve done bags. Also a set of timberens and good shocks will help with the plow. Good luck man and post pics! I love me a good ole 400 plow truck.
I have brand new Rancho shocks. I desperately want timberens too. Funny you mention bags cause I have a compressor and 1 bag but I can't find the other one and tank. Figures.. I also plan on fish plating where they crack before mine does. But I have a good rust free frame so that should prolong any cracking (fingers crossed)

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, thanks for the info on the torsion bars!
I'm thinking of doing lift keys with the torsion bars but haven't decided. I've heard good and bad.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My brother is running Timberens with his plow truck and is happy with them. With the plow off you still get a nice ride. Remember your plow is only on the truck a fraction of the time why have a lousy ride the rest of the time.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My brother is running Timberens with his plow truck and is happy with them. With the plow off you still get a nice ride. Remember your plow is only on the truck a fraction of the time why have a lousy ride the rest of the time.
Well I'm hoping heavy bars will bring the front end up higher. I'm trying to cheat a cheap lift. And I like the way 2500s sit.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So we are now talking about different goals. At first you wanted to help with the plow making the truck sag and now we are looking at a cheap lift. Two different subjects. The way timberens work is they allow truck to have a normal ride on stock suspension but help control the sag when overloaded. My brother has two plow trucks, one is a 2500HD with a an articulation plow and the other is a 1500 shortbed for driveways. He uses the 1500 as a daily driver so likes the softer ride it gives.

Where we live you may plow anywhere from 5 to 15 times a year so it's not worth sacrificing ride quality the rest of the year.

azblacksheep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So we are now talking about different goals. At first you wanted to help with the plow making the truck sag and now we are looking at a cheap lift. Two different subjects. The way timberens work is they allow truck to have a normal ride on stock suspension but help control the sag when overloaded. My brother has two plow trucks, one is a 2500HD with a an articulation plow and the other is a 1500 shortbed for driveways. He uses the 1500 as a daily driver so likes the softer ride it gives.

Where we live you may plow anywhere from 5 to 15 times a year so it's not worth sacrificing ride quality the rest of the year.
I'm trying to kill birds with one stone. Heavier bars should lift it more, and keep from sagging. The lift is more of a bonus. If you can't tell by the truck, looks come second over function. So if I can get the look with the function it's a win win. In the end it's function, because a truck that only looks good is worthless to me.