Identify this locker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think this may be a LockRight but not sure. It's a GM 14 bolt SF I picked up from the junk yard. The junk yard owner said he was told it was a GM g80 diff but think it may be better. I was having trouble finding 3.42 rear end so I snatched it up.

Turns out that the left tube it rusted at the u bolt clamp and leaking. Any good fixes for that or just take the guts out and grab another 14 bolt SF and swap parts. The read end was $75.

Kevin
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Rock Hard Concrete

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I cannot quite tell if it is a Lock-Rite or a No-Slip.... Basically the same but the no-slip is about as smooth as an LSD wheras the lock-rite will chatter at you....... it looks like a no-slip though. Either way they are very strong and will likely last longer than your truck.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
I cant identify the locker but if the axle tube is rusted through and leaking, especially at the u bolt, then chuck that rear end, it cant be safe.

Gut the thing and put the locker in a different 14-bolt

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Am I correct in believing that I can also use an 8 lug 14 bolt SF axle and swap my axles and gears to that housing?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a power tracs no-slip unit.

As mentioned. If it's worn or rusted through at a u-bolt, yes it's no good. But it and get another housing. At 75 you got that axle at a steel, even with having to get another for a better housing. Remember, if your 4x4 you need 1 from a 4x4 as the axle width is differant between 4x4 and 2wd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
6 and 8 lug **** is interchangeable if the 2wd/4wd part matches. A 9.5" diff is a 9.5" diff.

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looks like a power tracs no-slip unit.

As mentioned. If it's worn or rusted through at a u-bolt, yes it's no good. But it and get another housing. At 75 you got that axle at a steel, even with having to get another for a better housing. Remember, if your 4x4 you need 1 from a 4x4 as the axle width is differant between 4x4 and 2wd.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I'm in Maine, 2wd trucks are pretty rare and even more rare in 3/4 ton. So no worries about getting one from a 2wd truck.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going back out to the junk yard today.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There have been some that welded the axle tubes where they had been worn by the plate underneath the axle. Might be an option if you know a good welder, a good weld is always stronger than the base material. No matter what direction you go, when installing the replacement rear install the u-bolts from the bottom up so the nuts are on top. Get aftermarket spring plates and trash that GM under axle plate, it's only good to hold water and dirt or salty slush and rust the axle tubes.

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
There have been some that welded the axle tubes where they had been worn by the plate underneath the axle. Might be an option if you know a good welder, a good weld is always stronger than the base material. No matter what direction you go, when installing the replacement rear install the u-bolts from the bottom up so the nuts are on top. Get aftermarket spring plates and trash that GM under axle plate, it's only good to hold water and dirt or salty slush and rust the axle tubes.
I've seen the u bolt flip kit and almost bought it.

What's everyone's take on reusing u bolts. They were new along with the plates 2 years ago or about 10k miles ago.