Hydaulic Ram Assist Steering build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This was updated by OP on another site

Sooo
I'm kiiiinda copying and pasting his answers from the other location so our members can see it too

(MEMBER FTOM OTHER SITES ?s)

I'm planning on doing this this winter since the truck is stored away for a while. Couple questions.

1) Where'd you get the already tapped end plug?

2) I've read people need to run an auxiliary reservoir since the stock reservoir may not have enough fluid for the entire system. Are they doing this simply because of heat? Did you end up running one?

3) Would it make more sense to run it from the axle to one of the knuckles to limit the amount of stress on the tie rod (and more importantly) the tie rod ends? I figure this is minimal in the grand scheme of things, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks! And awesome write-up. I was about to pull the trigger on a PSC setup since I wasn't able to find any clear instructions on how to piece together your own. So glad I didnt.

(OP RESPONSE)
DMan.. Heres the scoop after trail testing this thing for a while.

First off I got the tapped end plug from JKWoffroad. Here is the link http://jkwoffroad.co...oadproducts.php

Second , yes that's right. The stock reservoir wasn't enough. I had to change a couple things. Under heavy wheeling, the fluid started getting so hot it was filling the reservoir and spilling out the top of the cap. I had fluid everywhere and I also lost a lot of steering control once it started to cavitate the steering got real tight and I couldn't turn as well as when it was cool. I had to pull over on the trail and let it cool. So to fix this I did two things.

1. Got a bigger cooler. The replaced the cooler with a Ford Crown Victoria tranny cooler which is 12"x8". Its roughly twice the size as the first one I got. I didn't think this thing was going to get so hot. But the new cooler works great. It has three loops of tubes that stick out one side of the cooler and two stick out the other. The first cooler I had only had two out one side and one out the other. (look at the photo) and you will see the difference.

2. I added some extra capacity to the reservoir. And as easy as pie heres how I did it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Get a piece of radiator hose, and a couple hose clamps. Then go to a junk yard and cut off an oil fill neck from any motor that it resembles the size of your radiator hose. Stick the hose on your reservoir, then put the oil fill neck in the other end of the tube, and hose clamp everything together. Remember to take the cap for the oil fill neck. Mine is about 9 inches long. I then filled the reservoir up to the top of the stock reservoir and ran it like that.

I have since wheeled the p1ss out of the truck and the steering doesn't miss a beat, no more boil over, and all day wheeling is smooth and cool steering. Glad you asked this stuff because I forgot to update the forum when I did that stuff.

Members response

Thanks for the response. I figured you'd added some capacity to the reservoir, but I wanted to make sure. I've got a few ideas for a reservoir that I might try out, but it's good to know how much needs to be added, approximately.

As for the cooler, I have a spare cooler sitting in my garage that is about the size you mentioned, so that's also good to know.

891Ton, on 22 Nov 2013 - 9:46 PM, said: