Hungry axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheBeast

Reaction score
Well, here’s the issue. My 94 K2500 is eating rear tires. I’m 36, drive like I’m 60, no spinning around corners and things like that.

What I have noticed is that it’s eating tires. It used to be the left rear only would go quick, it has progressed to both rears.

It’s a 14 bolt, G80. If I get off camber towing our spa trailer, it activates like it should, and disengages properly.

This leaves me at a loss as it’s not sticking or anything. I do live in big bear, so a lot of curves all day for work, up and down the hill every other weekend. My best guess, is that it’s actuating on curves. But, it hardly engaged in the snow, that’s how slow and methodically I drive.

If anyone has any thoughts on this, I’m open to suggestions of things to check.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheBeast

Reaction score
No thoughts?

Oh, replacing fuel pump this week as well as getting the ac up and running.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
How is it eating tires? Nice even wear or other. What 14 bolt, full floating or semi.

Could be a bent axle or old shocks. Each would contributed to a unique type of premature wear.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
What tires? What rating does the treadwear say, 300 or less? How many miles do you typically get out of a set?

TheBeast

Reaction score
Hmm I haven’t checked that, I used to stay on top of that with my sti, ran 240aa. I’ll check before work

TheBeast

Reaction score
Sorry I didn’t respond. Work was hectic today and got home to do the fuel pump, bed off (took two hours, rear passenger bolt was up against the bracket for the bumper/hitch), got down to pump out only to realize that I forgot to get a strainer. It never ends.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Looks like she's trying to take a poop!
That frame is CLEAN. Just look at your cab corners, I need a cold shower..