how to unbolt the torsion bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matsh

Reaction score
Hi guys.
this torsion type front suspension ifs. have never done this before.
wanting to change all the bushings in front suspension upper and lower controll arm. to take of the lower controll arm the torsion must be removed. if i take avay the shocks and let the suspension hang. kan i then just unscrew the torsion bar nut, will that remove all the tension in it? or do i nead a special tool to hold it. and to get it back togheter? like a spring clamp.

i have a 1995 suburban 8 lug 6.5

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is alot of pressure on the torsion bars. You can use a balljoint press or a heavy duty 2 jaw puller (like 5-ton min) for a tool also, I made my own tool out of a u-bolt, steel plate and threaded rod.

You need to jack the front of the truck off of the ground. Loosen up the torsion bar bolt. Put the tool on and tighten it up so that it lifts up the key so you can remove the bolt and block in the crossmember. Do that to both sides then the real fun can begin. Depending on where you live the bars maybe rusted into the keys and control arms. so first try pounding out the bar, if no luck un bolt the torsion bar cross member and try pounding the whole crossmember back. You dont need the bars out of the control arms to swap the bashings. If still no luck then grab the torches and try some heat. Sometimes its just much easier to cut the bottom off the keys and buy new keys.

For bushing when I swapped my uppers out for urethane bashing you use all the stock sleves, turns out my OE inner sleve had rusted away some and the bushing wasnt tight and wore out in no time, ended up buying complete ones from CarQuest. Lowers have been fine.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Glad to see this thread, because I want to add the real lift setup to relocate my tbars soon. At what point is all of the tension released from the tbars? Once the key and everything is removed? When you bang the tbars out do they fly out with incredible force...still have some questions :D

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
you use the tool to push the key up remove the adjustment bolt and the small block of metal it threads into and back off the tool the bars will have no tension on them at this point

Butch

I'm awesomeR!
Reaction score
you use the tool to push the key up remove the adjustment bolt and the small block of metal it threads into and back off the tool the bars will have no tension on them at this point

:word: the dangerous part is taking that pressure off of the tool, use the wrong tool (including gear pullers) and it'll **** your day up.

darren250r

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Using the right tool is probably recommended. On mine, I was able to jack the truck up by the frame to take all the load off the front tires. I might have unbolted the shocks also to make sure the control arms were drooping as much as possible. At that point, there was enough tension taken off the bars to where I didn't need a tool. I would also recommend douching everything with penetrating oil before you start including where the bars go into the lower control arms and the keys.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive done them before with the balljoint tool but after the 3rd time I went out and bought the right tool I dont use it everyday but when I do Im glad I have it

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay great info. What is the utmost "right tool" for this? I was hoping maybe autozone had one I could rent.