how to replace cv axles in a k2500 suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey i was wondering how would i replace the cv axles in my suburban,will i have to drop the diff or the upper ball joints?This is my first attempt to do this and i have little expecens with suspension.But any one know how to just please let me know what should i do thanks.

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did both of mine on my 99' Suburban. While the truck in on the ground pop off the lug cover on your rims. There is a large nut in the center of the hub. This nut threads onto your CV shaft and draws the splined part of the shaft into the splined hub. I found its just easier to break the nut with a long pipe on the end of a breaker bar than anything else. I believe the nut is 27 mm but don't quote me on that. Then jack up the truck and throw some jack stands underneath it. Once you get it up in the air, remove the tire, caliper and brake rotor. Crawl under your truck and follow your CV shaft up to your diff. You should see the end of the CV is bolted to a flange on the diff by 6 15mm bolts. Remove said bolts and the CV should drop free on that side. I did have to tap on mine with a dead blow a few times though. At this point you should have the flange unbolted from the diff as well as the nut removed from the knuckle end. Typically I guess you would pop the 3 15mm bolts and remove your hub to slide the CV out but this was not an option for me. I placed a jack underneath my lower control arm and jacked it up till there was slight pressure on it. If you don't, the torsion bar will force your LCA down and will fight you when you try to lift it back up. Remove the pin from the upper ball joint and loosen the castle nut. Leave the castle nut threaded on the end by a few threads. Next break out a pickle fork and slide/beat that between the knuckle and the upper control arm. Make sure you don't tear the rubber boot on the ball joint or you will have to replace that too. Once the BJ pops, you can jack up on the LCA a little more and remove the castle nut. You should be able to swing the UCA up and pull the knuckle out to allow your CV shaft to slide out. You may also have to unbolt your shock for more clearance. Lastly, throw in the new CV and reassemble.

Its not too bad of a fix. Sorry I don't have any pics but I hope this helps. Good Luck.

4x4chevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man i just hit that raccoon doing like 70 and cracked the boot and its giving me trouble in 4wd and cant pull my trailer threw some ruff shiet but i will give it a try.Now did you take the ball joint out or just loosen it?

88GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No I left the ball joint on the UCA and broke the tapered shaft free from the knuckle with a pickle fork and a hammer. Just tap the pickle fork between the bottom of the BJ on your UCA and the top of the knuckle. You will definantly feel when the tapered shaft on the BJ is knocked free.