How to Replace Blower Motor Resistor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mythic

Reaction score
D the radiator today. $130 from autozone. Then went to do the thermostat and one of the bolts broke in the manifold. DAMN! I drilled the bolt and went at it with an easy out, but then the easy out sheered off as well. WTF?! Spent hours trying to drill the easy out with very little success. My neighbor is a diesel mechanic and he is going to bring me some carbide bits tomorrow. Then I will drill it out and do a heli coil. This should have been a 5 minute job! So frustrating.

Mythic

Reaction score
Finally got everything put back together. Ended up using a heli coil for the one I had to drill out. everything is good to go now. No leaks. Brand new thermostat, brand new radiator and all new fluid. Im a happy camper.

tooslowtahoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
just replaced my Resistor today and for a beginner it wasn't that hard, smaller hands would help i guess and a 7mm wrench is the most valuable tool for this job. even the most unskilled could figure this one out.

dkh_524

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On mine it used to only really work on high the others just kinda worked on the same setting. Now it doesn't work at all this could be the problem right?

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be control switch, relay, and or blower as well. Run a hot wire to blower to test it. If it works change resistor and go from there.

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Suburban and I cannot turn on the fan at all. I've replaced the fan speed switch a month ago, and the relay, and resistor a few days ago. Tested the blower motor and it worked. I'm thinking it may be the fan speed switch because it doesn't engage on low until you select medium low.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk