How To Put LEDs in Moonie Gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaCoupe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great write up, I just did this conversion with RGB LED'S and loving the results.

DaCoupe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am using a Bluetooth module off amazon. I also have it tied into my interior accent lighting too

Michael Moore

Reaction score
I just did this to my 91 GMC and now my turn signal indicators come on with my dash lights. They just stay solid until you turn on your blinker and then they flash but after the blinker is turned off the signals on the dash are still solid. The exterior signals are working just fine. I thought that maybe the leds where affecting it so I pulled them out and put the stock ones back in but that did not help. I've uploaded an image of my problem. The turn signal level or hazards are not on in the picture. They are just solid lights. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You must be registered for see images attach

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping this thread, even though there's tons of great information on the Moonie gauges that I was previously unaware of before. However, my main question was what 194 LED everyone uses for this setup? I've seen some people recommend 120 degree LEDs to avoid hot spots in the cluster and other say that the normal 360 degree LEDs work fine with this certain gauge cluster. Any advice is welcome, thanks!

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
Never had an issue with 360 degree LEDs, except they would burn out every few months because they were Ebay junk. Have 120 or 180 degree Sylvania LEDs in now.

ima93chevyguy

Zip-Tie Mechanic
Reaction score
I run 360 degree, bought a $8 ten pack on amazon 4 years ago and haven't touched them since. I did buy another pack recently though because i feel like their life is probably near the end. A lot of people say 180's are better but they both work fine IMO.

Last edited:

Bear4297

Reaction score
I didn't take any pictures of the actual removal of the cluster from the truck, but I'll go ahead and give the steps for those who might be interested.

- There are 4 T15 Torx screws holding the dash bezel on. Remove those and you can pull the bezel out. If you have an automatic, you'll probably want to put the shifter in Low 1 to get it out of the way. My truck is a 5-speed, so I don't have to bother with it.

- Once you get the bezel loose, unplug the headlight and dimmer switches.

- Remove the bezel and set it aside.

- Remove the 4 7mm screws holding the HVAC controller.

- Remove the 3 7mm screws holding the radio (or the pocket in my case).

- You don't have to remove these items, but they need to be loose so you can access some of the screws holding the cluster.

- The cluster has 4 7mm screws holding it on. Remove them.

- You can now remove the clear plastic shield and set it aside.

- The cluster is ready to come out. Just pull on it and it will slide out.

- So now you are here...

- There are 10 T15 Torx screws holding the individual gauges to the panel; 4 for the speedometer and 3 on each side for the smaller gauges. Remove them...

- The gauges are plugged into the board, but they are now ready to just pull out. The speedometer comes out first...

- Then the 2 top gauges can come out...

- And now the bottom 2 can come out. Once they're out, you can see the 5 bulbs that provide the main cluster lighting...

- Pull those bulbs out and plug in your LEDs. I used the WLED-HP5s from Super Bright LEDs...

- After installing your LEDs and before you put the cluster back together, go back to the truck and install the cluster and then plug in the headlight switch. Turn them on to make sure all of your LEDs are lit up. The LEDs are polarity sensitive, so if one doesn't light up, unplug it and turn it around and then it should work.

NOTE: For blue or green LEDs, you are now ready to start putting everything back together. If you want red, white or amber and want the colors to show purely, you'll need to trim the green from the back of the gauges. This is what it looks like...

I would suggest a Dremel or other similar hobby tool to carefully trim it off. Don't go too crazy, though, as the edges are needed to hold the gauges together and to mount them to the board.

- Now reverse the process to put everything back together and enjoy your new nighttime look...

I didn't take any pictures of the actual removal of the cluster from the truck, but I'll go ahead and give the steps for those who might be interested.

- There are 4 T15 Torx screws holding the dash bezel on. Remove those and you can pull the bezel out. If you have an automatic, you'll probably want to put the shifter in Low 1 to get it out of the way. My truck is a 5-speed, so I don't have to bother with it.

- Once you get the bezel loose, unplug the headlight and dimmer switches.

- Remove the bezel and set it aside.

- Remove the 4 7mm screws holding the HVAC controller.

- Remove the 3 7mm screws holding the radio (or the pocket in my case).

- You don't have to remove these items, but they need to be loose so you can access some of the screws holding the cluster.

- The cluster has 4 7mm screws holding it on. Remove them.

- You can now remove the clear plastic shield and set it aside.

- The cluster is ready to come out. Just pull on it and it will slide out.

- So now you are here...

- There are 10 T15 Torx screws holding the individual gauges to the panel; 4 for the speedometer and 3 on each side for the smaller gauges. Remove them...

- The gauges are plugged into the board, but they are now ready to just pull out. The speedometer comes out first...

- Then the 2 top gauges can come out...

- And now the bottom 2 can come out. Once they're out, you can see the 5 bulbs that provide the main cluster lighting...

- Pull those bulbs out and plug in your LEDs. I used the WLED-HP5s from Super Bright LEDs...

- After installing your LEDs and before you put the cluster back together, go back to the truck and install the cluster and then plug in the headlight switch. Turn them on to make sure all of your LEDs are lit up. The LEDs are polarity sensitive, so if one doesn't light up, unplug it and turn it around and then it should work.

NOTE: For blue or green LEDs, you are now ready to start putting everything back together. If you want red, white or amber and want the colors to show purely, you'll need to trim the green from the back of the gauges. This is what it looks like...

I would suggest a Dremel or other similar hobby tool to carefully trim it off. Don't go too crazy, though, as the edges are needed to hold the gauges together and to mount them to the board.

- Now reverse the process to put everything back together and enjoy your new nighttime look...

Here's mine