How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only one that will work with your truck is compass/temp. None of the other features (mpg, ave, range) will work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I will rephrase the question.

I am literally dumping a later vehicle into this body. If I rear this corrrecttly anything after 98 will allow the range feature to work. Is that correct?

Making sure I buy the correct donor for this. Idea wasto drop a car escalade into it from the bpillars forward.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
Damn, there is some serious miss information wandering around here...
Just to clear things up a little. Every DIC that I have tried in my (2000) k2500 (with the 411 swap). My range works well, my avg. Economy is still accurate, but my instant economy is completely off.

CrewCab Steve

Frankp

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've got one in my 98 and all work except for the "range" feature. The mpg, gallons used, compass and temp are all fine. I believe the range is off due to the fact the DIC's came out of the S10 sized vehicles which all had 20 gallon tanks and my truck has a 25 gallon tank.

2000CCSB

CrewCab Stalker
Reaction score
It seems like GM didn't connect the sending unit to the pcm until 99'. Don't hold me to that information but from everyone I've discussed this with, that has been the common statement.
My 2000 had a fully functioning DIC until I did the 411 pcm swap.

CrewCab Steve

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok that nails it down for me. 2k escalade as a donor with bits and pieces of the later single cab goosed in for good measure.

Thanks guys!

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I am picking up my very own Overhead Console soon, it will be coming out of a 1994 suburban, so it will have the "larger" piece up front with the HVAC controls. I really want to put a DIC in here, but I don't think I have much choice, the only things I have figured out thus far are that
A) since my console is not out of a pickup, I can not easily swap a Blazer/S10 DIC into the spot.
B) If I go with a newer DIC (like out of a 2000-2002 escalade) I will NOT be able to have Compass/Temp gauge, which I really want available.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or am I basically limited to getting someone to fab in the Blazer/S10 DIC which has the compass/temp?
Thanks a million for any suggestions..!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Hey guys I am picking up my very own Overhead Console soon, it will be coming out of a 1994 suburban, so it will have the "larger" piece up front with the HVAC controls. I really want to put a DIC in here, but I don't think I have much choice, the only things I have figured out thus far are that
A) since my console is not out of a pickup, I can not easily swap a Blazer/S10 DIC into the spot.
B) If I go with a newer DIC (like out of a 2000-2002 escalade) I will NOT be able to have Compass/Temp gauge, which I really want available.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or am I basically limited to getting someone to fab in the Blazer/S10 DIC which has the compass/temp?
Thanks a million for any suggestions..!

You'll want to find a pickup console. The reason being, is the only DIC that will work in your 94 is the basic compass/temp unit. The computers on the 88-95 trucks do not communicate with the DIC from the S-10 of denali/escalade.

If you had a newer truck and used the escalade/denali DIC, you could add a compass/temp mirror. Which, in your case you could do anyway and put something else in the large opening SUV console.