How to: Install DIC in gmt400 overhead console

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justjoshiny

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah the range is way off on my 98, mpg seems accurate though.

I don't see where using a 411 PCM would loose function, they are a newer PCM used in the gmt800 trucks and newer. Even in the later s series trucks these dic computers came from.

But they do lose some functions.

ddennis45

Reaction score
Just picked up my console today with dic in it. But I have a 94 (obd I) and I have an 02 computer and 5.3 in it. Could I hook up the mpg's in it???
You must be registered for see images attach

Xanatost

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To get the compass and temp to work on a 98 that all ready has that in the rear-view mirror all i would need to do is just splice it into what I have??

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get the compass and temp to work on a 98 that all ready has that in the rear-view mirror all i would need to do is just splice it into what I have??
The compass is self contained in each unit. The temp will need individual sensors for each.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Well, I think I'm finally going to use the temp/compass one Paul sent me over a year and a half ago haha. Ordered an overhead console of eBay that was missing the blank plate, so I'm forcing myself to do it ha

RussToy

Reaction score
Hey guys!! I'm a newbie to y'all's forum...but not to Chevys or GMT400. I've own several, just never knew there was a forum dedicated to them. Anyway, I've found several mods that I want to do, which this is the first!!

Unfortunately, I need a bit of help to get started. I'm having trouble locating an DIC w/thermometer and connectors out of any of the fore mentioned vehicles. Wanted to know if anyone had an extra one they wanted to sell...or had access to a pull yard that had any? I'm looking for an DIC w/ the "mode" button! Think it would be slick to check mileage, fuel usage, etc, like the new trucks. I'm also looking for a long console out of an extra-cab or crew cab truck to fit the DIC in...due to it won't fit my 99' Tahoe. Thank y'all for any and all the help...and a special shout-out to the OP for this write up!! Great job!!

Russel

Lordkay972

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I'm a newbie to y'all's forum...but not to Chevys or GMT400. I've own several, just never knew there was a forum dedicated to them. Anyway, I've found several mods that I want to do, which this is the first!!

Unfortunately, I need a bit of help to get started. I'm having trouble locating an DIC w/thermometer and connectors out of any of the fore mentioned vehicles. Wanted to know if anyone had an extra one they wanted to sell...or had access to a pull yard that had any? I'm looking for an DIC w/ the "mode" button! Think it would be slick to check mileage, fuel usage, etc, like the new trucks. I'm also looking for a long console out of an extra-cab or crew cab truck to fit the DIC in...due to it won't fit my 99' Tahoe. Thank y'all for any and all the help...and a special shout-out to the OP for this write up!! Great job!!

Russel
This is my thread. Will sell the DICs separate from the console.
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26219

tyler2chevys

Reaction score
Hello all and Merry Xmas!

I have a 96 step side ext. cab with the 5.0 and I have recently added the overhead console thanks to the exceptional writeup contained in this post.

I have everything hooked up for the DIC except for the VSS wire. The write up states there is a VSS wire in the radio, but for the 96 there isn't one (at least in my truck). The compass and everything will work for about 10 seconds when I turn the truck on and then display "C - -" with the VSS wire NOT hooked up. I had the compass/temp DIC in before I updated to this one and it worked fine so I know the wiring is correct.

Is there a location somewhere inside the cab I can splice this VSS joker into?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! REALLY want to wrap up this project!

Thanks so much - Happy Holidays to all!

Best,
Tyler

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question for the OP:

So for the range feTure to work I need a donor from 98 up correct ? Looking at grabbing a complete cad escalade wreck for all the bits ( doing an interior swap) with a vortec 5.7. Right truck to use or is there another I should be looking at? I own a 88 SWB stepside.