How-To: Install a trans temp gauge in a 95+ GMT400 with a 4L60e

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usar17

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Autometer suggests grounding the gauge near the sender. What's everyone's opinion on that?

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I have finally found the SEM color in aerosol that matches my interior, I need to run over the pod with a red scotch brite then paint it.

I have my wiring made up already and a blue LED for the backlighting.

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

installed my trans temp gauge today. Used Autometer mechanical gauge. Installed temp probe into test port. Now here's my problem.. The lowest number on my gauge is 140.. I have B&M 70266 cooler, and its been a high of 42* today. After driving round trip 30 miles the gauge hasn't moved off of 140*. I'm wondering if with all those factors the trans is just running 140* and below, or if something isn't right here..

MXR597

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
installed my trans temp gauge today. Used Autometer mechanical gauge. Installed temp probe into test port. Now here's my problem.. The lowest number on my gauge is 140.. I have B&M 70266 cooler, and its been a high of 42* today. After driving round trip 30 miles the gauge hasn't moved off of 140*. I'm wondering if with all those factors the trans is just running 140* and below, or if something isn't right here..

I have a glowshift (Starts at 100) one I ran today for the first time and it went up to 180 and stayed (Stock Cooler). Temp started to go up about 5 to 10 miles in after sitting for about 10 minutes in the driveway. Now when mine wasn't connected to sensor it would just go up to 300 and say cause it couldn't get a reading. I'm not sure how the Cooler or the Autometer gauges work but it could be a loose connection or your cooler could be working really well.

poncho62

Old Fart
Reaction score
I have the same Autometer gauge in my truck with sensor in test port...I installed it in the fall a year ago......It didnt go above 140 all winter and I was thinking it wasnt working right. I even went and bought a IR temp gun to check it. Tranny pan etc read the same on the gun...In the spring when I started towing my 5th wheel around, the temp would run around 160-190 which is normal. I think everything is OK with yours too

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Update: ambient temp is at 39*. While sitting in the fast food drive thru it got up to 155. At least I'm seeing movement on the gauge now. Thanks for the advice fellas.