How To: Install a Compass / Temperature Rear View Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good luck on a sticky :/
Pins 4&5 were in fact for auto-dimming mirrors. They came on some Esky/Hoes.
You might've noticed them before, they have gold lenses.
Yeah I tried to write it up as good enough quality to be a sticky but I wasn't going to ask for it I was going to let other members and mods make that decision.

If I didn't have tow mirrors on my truck I'd be looking for a new set of dimming exterior mirrors from the optioned up hoes and or the Denali that I know is in my local yard. I'd imagine the dimming mirrors had heated glass as well right? That would be sweet to have the dimming exterior mirrors as well. Oh well I'm pretty happy with my tow mirrors.

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Where did you run the power to? Ignition fuse?

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you run the power to? Ignition fuse?

I did it differently than most people would do it. I have a bunch of extra fuse box pins and I wired mine up on its own fuse where the Rear wiper fuse should be. It was a switched power and since I don't have a suv I don't have a rear wiper.

Most (Probably all) of the pink wires under the dash should be ingition switched power. The mirror shouldn't draw a large amount of power so you should be able to just pick a circuit and tap into the side of the circuit that is downstream of the fuse. Try not to tap into any unfused wires. Probably play around in the fuse box with a test light to figure out a circuit that is ignition switched. Then tap into the side that is downstream of the fuse. The stereo circuit might be a good one to tap into. I can't remember off the top of my head the other ones that are ignition switched besides the rear wiper but that takes more effort to wire in an extra pin where it's missing one.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a Excellent write up Cody!! Great Job! This is exactly how I installed mine with the exception of the mounting location for the temp sender!

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is a Excellent write up Cody!! Great Job! This is exactly how I installed mine with the exception of the mounting location for the temp sender!
Thanks!
Where did you mount your temperature sender at?

Z Long Bed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great write up....worked for me. But now i have to look for the auto dimming/heated outside mirrors..

JJZ71

OBS for life
Reaction score
Quick question, My compass has N & E only - any ideas? East and South come up as E. West and North come up as N. :shrug:

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Quick question, My compass has N & E only - any ideas? East and South come up as E. West and North come up as N. :shrug:

That generally means you need to calibrate it. Just hold the "temp" button until it says CAL and then drive in a few circles. Its pretty easy to do atleast!