How To: Install a Compass / Temperature Rear View Mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MYT HI

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Me and my bud did this yesterday. But when it turned on it was in Celsius! We found if you hold the temp button it gives you a option between Fahrenheit and Celsius by tapping the button once and then leaving it for a minute or so and it goes to that format. Hope this can help someone if needed

Sent from my 350 TBI powered iPhone

ray_z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread but it was recently helpful to me. The only thing I'd like to add is the image below. It shows the location of the Lt Green Reverse wire, backup lights wire, Back-up Lamp Feed, reverse light hot wire, etc. Whatever you want to call it. :biggrin:

There is a two wire harness, with a four wire connector, that goes to the back of truck. You can easily locate it by laying under the driver's side of the truck just behind the front wheel. It's on the inside of the frame. Follow that harness up to the engine bay. See below.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Nutro

Reaction score
Has anyone converted a work truck Tahoe without lighted sun visors over to the lighted visors? I'm in the process f converting over to the COMP/TEMP mirror as well. I pulled the wiring from a 2 door in the junk yard today and noticed the wiring runs down the pillar and into the rubber firewall insulator pad. I'm guessing my truck (97) would have the same blue plug dangling in the dash somewhere but I cannot find it.

kssilverado

Reaction score
Is there a way to tap into the factory wiring for the temp sensor? My truck didn't come with the auto dim/compass/temp mirror but I got one off a totaled truck. Got all the wiring from the mirror all the way down to where it plugs into the firewall. I plugged it in and have compassion but obviously the temp isn't working because it needs to be wired up.

Is there factory wires/connectors that I can get so it looks all factory? Or do I have to spice in my temp sensor. I found one that hopefully works laying around at work. Any input would be great. Thanks!!

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
You can get a factory temp sensor and wiring from any self serve junk yard. I found and pulled an entire harness for mine. Just have to hook up the interior parts. If you already have the factory plug and wires on the truck and just need a sensor then any factory sensor should work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

kssilverado

Reaction score
Well I found out the mirror I got doesn't have temperature. Just auto dim and direction. I have a temp sensor but now I can't even hook it up hah...

Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away.

kssilverado

Reaction score
Can I add temp to my mirror that only currently shows direction? All the pins are in the back of the mirror but I only have three wires in the connector. I can see in the display where it shows °F and °C.

Sent from a Galaxy, far, far away.

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
Does it have the "Temp" button on it? The gmt400 mirrors would show temp or compass and you would press the corresponding button to view it.