How to: factory auxiliary trans cooler upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! It's parked for the night. I'm going to check it in the morning, add if it doesn't hit the stick, then do what you suggest.

It's interesting that B&M says to not mount the cooler they way GM did, and your tech writeup does. It must work ok, but they don't recommend it.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found that interesting too, especially given that the coolers are manufactured by the same company. I went with GM's method for simplicity, and because I'm sure they wouldn't have mounted it that way if it would be an issue.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm definitely not a fluid engineer. I don't understand why an air pocket is more or less likely with the orientation one way or another. It's still a closed system with fluid in one side and out the other.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found that interesting too, especially given that the coolers are manufactured by the same company. I went with GM's method for simplicity, and because I'm sure they wouldn't have mounted it that way if it would be an issue.

I'm wondering if the factory cooler is a "tube and fin" type with a defined flow path so the mounting isn't an issue. From what I've read, the B&M may have open chambers that are dependent on gravity for being filled. If that's the case, then the fluid may only fill the cooler enough that it is flowing out the other side, but not filling the cooler completely and not getting the full cooling effect.

I'm going to flip mine so the lines are on top and run rubber lines from oem lines for the connections.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both coolers are a stacked plate design, so it should affect both if it is an issue. I may run mine and check it with a infrared thermometer to see if it has fluid flowing throughout the cooler.

Birchyboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm wondering if the factory cooler is a "tube and fin" type with a defined flow path so the mounting isn't an issue. From what I've read, the B&M may have open chambers that are dependent on gravity for being filled. If that's the case, then the fluid may only fill the cooler enough that it is flowing out the other side, but not filling the cooler completely and not getting the full cooling effect.

I'm going to flip mine so the lines are on top and run rubber lines from oem lines for the connections.

I took a quick look last night, and it looks like flipping it to the top may not be possible. It looks like the center support would interfere with the connection. I'm leaving Thursday night and hope that all will be well. I know that others have made this same change without any ill effects, but I always fall into the small percentage that has all the issues :-(

DHGFX4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

Started mine. There should be a whole seperate thread on how to remove those ******* lock rings on the quick connects. I got one off.. and lost it. The other side i couldnt get off (using a 90* pick) so i said screw it and just unscrewed the fitting. Im wondering if it would have been possible with out doing either lock ring, although having the one line off made it alot easier to line up the threads on the fitting still attached to the line on the opposite side.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A small flat blade screwdriver is my weapon of choice. Put a finger on the back of the clip to keep it from flying off to BFE, and use the screwdriver to push one side of the clip out and back. Then you grab the clip and wiggle the other side out and voila. Easier said than done sometimes, especially when they are in an awkward position.

Blazer Eagle

Reaction score
Thanks for the write up! It was very inspiring! Since I have the big block powered truck with the 4l80E I decided to step up to the larger B&M 70274. To get that monster to fit all I had to do was shift over one mounting hole and then drill a new hole for the bolt on the right. I drilled the hole just a tiny bit high to tilt the cooler out of the way of the center latch support. I haven't fabbed a top support yet, but once that is done I'll be able to go on a drive and see how my tranny temp is effected.

Side note: I did have to cut a small corner off the lower valence for driver side (right side of the picture) adapter to fit

You must be registered for see images attach

Doublestack00

Reaction score
I have a 1990 and it did not come with a aux Trans cooler. I want to do this mod before the lift and tires. Anyone done this to a truck that didn't already have the aux cooler?

Also, is everyone adding this in addition to the radiator or bypassing the radiator?

It gets really hot here in the summers and I wouldn't mind getting a cooler big enough where I could bypass the radiator all together if possible so the truck would run cooler.

I'm about to swap to electric fans and ditch the clutch fan hopefully that'll cool better and free up some HP.