How to build a gooseneck into rollback?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
just as the title states, i'm wondering if anyone knows how to build a rollback or tilt trailer but with a gooseneck tongue instead of a bumper pull. I have a 16 ft goose now that I would like to lengthen to 18-20ft for towing longer vehicles.

has anyone done it? have any ideas?

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Do you have a roll back or tilt you're planning to purchase or are you engineering from scratch?

My idea would be to strip the current trailer down to the frame. Move the axles back as far as possible. Building the new tilting deck to hang over the edge of the existing frame the additional 4-5 feet and pivoting on the end of the existing frame.

I assume if it's a 16' trailer it's a low boy not a deck over. Which would negate the need for a roll back. But since you're asking, that assumption could be wrong.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
Do you have a roll back or tilt you're planning to purchase or are you engineering from scratch?

My idea would be to strip the current trailer down to the frame. Move the axles back as far as possible. Building the new tilting deck to hang over the edge of the existing frame the additional 4-5 feet and pivoting on the end of the existing frame.

I assume if it's a 16' trailer it's a low boy not a deck over. Which would negate the need for a roll back. But since you're asking, that assumption could be wrong.

going from scratch.

it is a low boy. my car sits awfully low and is a 4th gen firebird so has the longest nose. the rollback idea came up after I started searching for trailers that load lowered cars easily and the rollbacks are one of them. the ramps I have are extremely heavy and barely allow my car to load on it as is without scraping. once I complete the cars suspension and add a splitter, it will be near impossible without messing something up.

and I don't want a tilt deck because the load angle is just as steep as ramps. the roll back has a much lower transition and load angle.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
That is quite a dilemma. I don't want to be the guy giving useless information that you have already looked into. Do you have an idea what the maximum load angle will be one you get your suspension and splitter?

A roll back will be quite an endeavor. I would still try to keep the rear axle as far forward as possible to give you a better pivot point. I have seen a few tilt decks that have the frame permanently attached to the deck and the tongue is what separates allowing it to tilt and pivot on the rear axle. Adding the roll back option to this seems like it could be the easiest with the lowest deck. Keeping load angles low. Personally I would keep the axles as far forward, while maintaining proper weight distribution, to also aid in the tilt angle. Also if you don't already have drop axles, I would look into those as long as it won't interfere with your GN overhang.

As a dream trailer, I always thought about replacing the leaf springs with air bags so I could dump the air for better loading.

Last edited:

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
That is quite a dilemma. I don't want to be the guy giving useless information that you have already looked into. Do you have an idea what the maximum load angle will be one you get your suspension and splitter?

A roll back will be quite an endeavor. I would still try to keep the rear axle as far forward as possible to give you a better pivot point. I have seen a few tilt decks that have the frame permanently attached to the deck and the tongue is what separates allowing it to tilt and pivot on the rear axle. Adding the roll back option to this seems like it could be the easiest with the lowest deck. Keeping load angles low. Personally I would keep the axles as far forward, while maintaining proper weight distribution, to also aid in the tilt angle. Also if you don't already have drop axles, I would look into those as long as it won't interfere with your GN overhang.

As a dream trailer, I always thought about replacing the leaf springs with air bags so I could dump the air for better loading.

I don't have an idea of maximum load angle. but what I was talking about is what Bob L posted for a link which allows a very small load angle unlike what a tilt would allow which is in skylark's amazon link

I didn't think about drop axles but i'm looking into them now after reading what you wrote which may be my answer... those, plus a dovetail, plus locating the axles back (opposite of what you said but it would allow a low dovetail without scraping everywhere) would allow a low load angle with a 6 ft ramp I would imagine which would eliminate the need for the rollback...

a tilt wouldn't work as well as a rollback

Is this what you ar talking about for rollback? It is a sliding axle trailer very low load angle

http://www.randpcarriages.com/trailers/Sloan-7k-18-steel.html

yes that's what I was talking about for rollback

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Is this what you ar talking about for rollback? It is a sliding axle trailer very low load angle

http://www.randpcarriages.com/trailers/Sloan-7k-18-steel.html

Never seen one quite like that. Much simpler than the direction I was looking.

I don't have an idea of maximum load angle. but what I was talking about is what Bob L posted for a link which allows a very small load angle unlike what a tilt would allow which is in skylark's amazon link

I didn't think about drop axles but i'm looking into them now after reading what you wrote which may be my answer... those, plus a dovetail, plus locating the axles back (opposite of what you said but it would allow a low dovetail without scraping everywhere) would allow a low load angle with a 6 ft ramp I would imagine which would eliminate the need for the rollback...

a tilt wouldn't work as well as a rollback

yes that's what I was talking about for rollback

I look forward to seeing your build.

Van Gui1d3r #838

Free Thinker
Reaction score
Never seen one quite like that. Much simpler than the direction I was looking.

I look forward to seeing your build.

with the drop axles, I may only need a dovetail and those... way easier lol. i'll check tractor supply in town for axles.

otherwise, i'll need to look at one in person to really grasp how to go about that kind of build.