How to: 96-00 GMT400 5.7 Vortec 4x4 Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I take no responsibility for anyone damaging their vehicle. If you are uncomfortable performing something like this, do yourself a favor and take it to someone who is.

Here's how to change the oil in your 1996-2000 GMT400 with a 5.7 Vortec. The 2x4 variant is slightly different than the 4x4 due to the position of the oil filter and the type of oil filter used. If anyone has any questions, feel free to PM me and if I miss anything just let me know and I'll add it to the writeup.

What you need:
15mm wrench OR 15mm socket and ratchet
Drip pan
Funnel
Gloves
Paper Towels
5 quarts of 5W-30 (I use full synthetic)
Oil Filter (WIX 51036 or 51036XP, ACDelco PF56 or PF56E, Napa Gold 1036, Microgard MGL51036, FRAM PH3980, KN HP2001, or look up in index most places carry)
Oil Filter Wrench
Car ramps OR jack and jack stands
Wheel Chocks (for rear tires)
  • First, you need to warm up your truck to get the oil flowing. Make sure to not leave it running for too long otherwise it is going to burn you when you start working. I usually idle for a minute then go for a quick u-turn into the driveway.
  • Lift the front of the truck. My truck is lifted so I am not sure if the stock ride height is enough to maneuver underneath carefully. If you are driving up on ramps, set the emergency brake and block the rear wheels.
  • Pop the hood. Open up the oil cap. I also lift up the dip stick a little.
  • Time to go under! The oil drain plug is located at near the mid/back of the oil pan on the driver side of the pan.
You must be registered for see images attach

• Place the drip pan to catch the oil once the plug is removed. I placed mine next to the front driveshaft. Use the 15mm wrench and loosen it, but do not remove it. Use your hand to loosen the plug all the way until it is about to come out. A little tip to minimize the mess is to push on the plug while loosening so the oil doesn't spill everywhere.

• Let the oil drain. Clean off the plug with a clean towel.

• Once the oil is down to a slow drip, wipe off the area and replace the plug using your hand to avoid cross threading. I tightened it as far as I could by hand then used the wrench to snug it up. (I'm not sure what the torque specifications are, if you know them, let me know!)
  • Now onto the filter (you can do this while the oil is draining, but this is the messy part so it helps to have the drain pan to catch the oil from the filter). Place the oil drip pan below the front driveshaft. Reach up between the exhaust and front driveshaft (be careful not to burn yourself on the exhaust) to loosen the filter. Be prepared with lots of paper towels. GM placed the oil filter sideways AND on top on the front driveshaft so the oil tends to go everywhere.

• Once the oil filter is out, try to get it upright as soon as possible to limit the amount of oil spilled. Place the oil filter in the drip pan and let it drain.
  • Grab the new oil filter and use some oil to lube up the gasket to help it seat better. I would recommend filling up the filter with new oil before installing, but being that this filter is mounted sideways, it'd be impossible to do so without spilling.
  • Install the new oil filter and tighten until contact, then give it 3/4 more of a turn. If you're unsure about how tight to tighten the oil filter this is normally a good rule, or you can read the oil filter.
  • Grab your new oil and a funnel.

• Fill up with 5 quarts of 5W-30, then tighten the oil cap and place the dipstick back in if you removed it.
  • Check the level of the dipstick on level ground. Add/remove if necessary.
  • Look under the truck and see if there are any leaks, if none, start the truck. Then check for leaks while the truck is running. If there are any, kill the truck and tighten up anything loose. If none, close the hood, remove the blocks, lower the truck, put all your tools away and you're finished!
  • Make sure to dispose of the used oil and oil filter properly. Most auto parts stores recycle them for free, or your garbage company might pick them up if you place them next to the trash cans when they come to pick up the garbage (check with your local waste disposal service to see if they offer that service).

Curt

Reaction score
Thanks! I lubricate the front drive shaft u-joint at every oil change! :D
No problem! What do you use to lubricate it? I'll do the same from now on, that's a really good idea. Looks like I'll have to crawl back under the truck haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
haha...I am referring to what runs all over the front drive shaft u-joint when you remove the filter. I thought that was pretty obvious....:D

Curt

Reaction score
haha...I am referring to what runs all over the front drive shaft u-joint when you remove the filter. I thought that was pretty obvious....:D
I thought you were referring to the oil but then I thought maybe the answer was too obvious [emoji23] maybe I shouldn't be overthinking these things... :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk