How to: 88-94 climate control LED swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it seemed that nobody knew much about these, since I couldn't really find any info on the climate controls, I decided to break down into my climate control since I bought a spare one that worked from a junkyard, in case I broke something. I am going to show you how to step by step change the climate control from bulbs to LED's.

Here's the one I got from the junkyard. I like how its black, it fits the bezel I painted, instead of my dark grey one.

You must be registered for see images attach

Alright first you turn it around and take out the 3 - 1/4 screws on the back plastic housing. Once you get those it'll just slide straight back.

And look like this...

The perpendicular circuit board comes off to access the one bulb. So just slowly and carefully pull the circuit board back out the same way as the black plastic housing you took off previously. Its only connected by pins into the display circuit board. After that it'll look like this...

Now I changed them to LED's prior to taking the pictures, since I didn't have a camera then. But anyways, the blue circles are the bulb location. I took a needle nose pliers and carefully loosened them out, and just so you guys know these LED's are polarized so they only work one way in the slotted hole. BTW the grey is LED and black are the original bulbs. Now at this point before putting everything together and throwing it back into your truck, I would put the circuit boards back together and slide the black housing back over the circuit boards and make sure they work in the truck. If they work on your first try, congrats!(you suck :lol: I had to switch one) you can tighten everything back up and throw her back in the truck and put it together.

Now what I did while the board was apart, was take the display circuit board off. In order to do that you should take the 2 screws in the red circle (in my pic) out. CAREFUL!! Make sure you have the buttons you press facing downward when you slide it off otherwise they will go flying everywhere! :)fca5278d: That didn't happen to me but I accidentally bumped it and they went barreling across the table...) But I took each button and cleaned the top parts you see on them but can never reach to clean(most of you probably know what I'm talking about). I also would like to tint the display blue instead of it being green but my blue tint hasn't come in yet.

Here's the link for the LED's I bought: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...gauge/neox-led-bulb-instrument-panel-led/220/
I measured it and got 4mm.

Here's some of the pics with all my dash LED's working.

Last edited:

DR CHOP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good write up, needs to be a stickie. We're thoses the 3mm or 4mm bulbs? I read somewhere that people replaced the green plastic lens with blue acrylic ( can't remember where that thread was )

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Everything I read said acrylic as well. I ordered mine off eBay

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They should all be 4mm. That would be awesome to change it all to blue on the display. Imma try to look for that thread. Plus I spent like $6 (that's with shipping) on the 3 LED's.

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I received blue tint the other day and I tried just putting some in between the display and the cover screen that has a green tint. I put it in and tried it out but it didn't cause any color change.

So, I read on some other site acetone removes tint, but just wondering what you guys would do to get the tint off the cover.

Last edited:

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Replace it with acrylic it's cheap an easy. Jus cut out how much u need an put it in

Sent from the legion of doom

Blakestuhh

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought an extra one and was going to try the same thing. I got the back cover off but couldn't figure how to get the circuit board out. All I do is pull it back, there's no screws or nothing?

The Arctic Fox

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Replace it with acrylic it's cheap an easy. Jus cut out how much u need an put it in

I know the screen look like its glued/ molded to the case, just how do you go about taking the original screen off without ruining the front display case?

I bought an extra one and was going to try the same thing. I got the back cover off but couldn't figure how to get the circuit board out. All I do is pull it back, there's no screws or nothing?

Yes you pull straight back on the circuit board(the one you hook to the truck) Its just some pins holding it in

the screws are in the red circles are the two you need to take out to take the display circuit board off

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Those little buttons u gotta grind them down. I've heard of using a dremel. I used u razor blade an kept cutting till it broke an I could pop out the green screen