[HOW-TO] "4-HI" brake light mod (EASY method!) (STOCK TAILS)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tricky's_Limitedhoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check both circuit boards good as well as bulbs. Then check harness into board and under rear bumper for power, could have corrosion in connector.

Sent from a Phone Booth using Tapatalk

1sickcrewcab

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it working. Thanks!!! Ended up being a combination of things. 1. Two wires on brake light switch harness were cut in half, don't know how that happen if I didn't even mess with that. 2. Brake light switch and 3. Even though fuse was good it had little corrosion on it which was enough to not make contact.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Just did this to mine. Driver side works fine. Passenger side, the bulb shattered in my hand (ouch) so I went an bought new ones then came back and it didn't work. so I rewired it several times then I finally plugged the passenger side circuit board into the driver side harness and it still didn't work. Looks like a new circuit board is next. :nono:

nailhead

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just finished up the 4 hi brake light mod. I also replaced the bulbs with 3457. They are 40/3 candle power vs the 32/3 candle power of the 3157 bulbs.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackInBlack

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just finished up the 4 hi brake light mod. I also replaced the bulbs with 3457. They are 40/3 candle power vs the 32/3 candle power of the 3157 bulbs.

Are the bigger bulbs running hotter in the housing? That would be my fear of putting the 3457.

1997k1500Calvin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Looks great, what brake light bar is that

Live action!!

nailhead

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I have that fear to of them running hotter. But they seem to be working good and the housings don't feel any hotter than the stock 3157.

nailhead

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks. I can't remember what brand the light bar was. I bought it about 6 years ago. I do remember it had really good reviews on it and it also has the white reverse lights built into it. Also a lot brighter compared to my old one I had got threw stylin concepts. I'll try to go threw all my old receipts and try to find the brand for ya.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
mine is a Rampage. $45 and a 3 year warranty... I'm happy with it
You must be registered for see images attach