How much did you spend/ how long did it take for your lift kit install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm really curious about lift kits.. I wanna lift my 95 silverado really bad, but I'm a fry cook at long john silvers, (just got a second job at costco too, not many hours), and im going to college. so i know saving up for a lift kit is going to take a while, plus all my friends say 'dude that'd be such a waste of money', but its something I really would love to do.. depdning on price and time.

My 33" mickey thompson tires are balding really bad, and i need to get new ones, but i dont wanna get new ones if i plan on lifting it one day, and end up going bigger!!

basically heres what i'd like to know:

1. How much did it cost to lift your truck?
(not the cost of the kit.. EVERYTHING, like stuff you werent prepared for, roadblocks etc.)

2. Did you install it yourself or have a shop do it?? whats recommended?

3. How long was your truck out of commission for? a day, two, a month?

I know the answers will vary, but i just wanna get an idea. thanks guys!!
(p.s. im looking for maybe a 6inch suspension, 3 inch body roughly)

98crewcab

Reaction score
my last truck had a RCD 6" lift installed. researched it and just felt more comfortable letting a shop handle the ifs front end. Bought the lift for $1500, and they charged $600 to install it. they did everything from the lift, included lengthened steel braided brake lines, lengthened the drivelines, and aligned it. picked it up 2 days later and drove straight to les shwab!!! threw on some 38's (also had 3" body lift.....dont do it. regret it) and save the hassle. I think next time I will save money and do a straight axle conversion. can be done cheaper than what I paid for the lift alone. and alot flex'ier....

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
If your gonna do a solid axle and do it right it should come out being more than that unless you have done it before and know what you are doing. Most IFS lifts and really simple lifts to do by yourself with a few buddies and shouldn't take more than a weekend if you are doing it for the first time and have a some knowledge. I am going to agree with 98crewcab and say not to go with a body lift, at first it's nice if your on a budget and don't have a suspension lift but in the end they look like ****. I am about to take mine off actually.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
Pirates don't sleep butch.
But to stay on topic a 6 inch rcx is 1000(installed by you) plus about 1500-2200 for wheels and tires could be more could be less depending on what you want then about 75 for an alignment and that should have you set for a total cost of what you are looking for.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
if you are tight on money i know 4 wheel parts always has specials going on and they can do the work too. ive never had them do any work for me but i know a few guys that have and it was fairly priced IMO

Sully

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pirates don't sleep butch.
But to stay on topic a 6 inch rcx is 1000(installed by you) plus about 1500-2200 for wheels and tires could be more could be less depending on what you want then about 75 for an alignment and that should have you set for a total cost of what you are looking for.

this is pretty accurate account. You can get the wheels and tires for less if you hunt around, but that is very realistic price range to figure in. Also, depending on your stock gearing, plan on doing those too or your truck will be a dog and suck back fuel like a frat boy at a keg party. Gears are worth about 200 a set, and if you want to upgrade your carrier (thats the part that makes a posi for those who dont know) they run 400-900 depending on how fancy you want. Those arent something I would recommend doing on your own unless you know exactly what you are doing. They arent hard, but they are easy to screw up. Remember in a 4wd vehicle the front and rear diff have to have the same ratio.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Well there's lift "kits" and lift "systems", the kits are easy peasy, usually blocks/keys/add-a-leafs/shackles - a 3" Block lift with cranking of stock torsion bars (aftermarket keys on an OBS is a waste of money, believe me) is probably the best bet for a budget worker like yourself, you will be looking at around $12.00 a piece for 4 new U-bolts, $35.00 or so for 3" blocks (get tapered), get new shocks, not only because yours are probably shot (if they are the bilsteins that came with truck, if its a z71), but because 3" blocks will max out the rear shocks. It took me a couple hours to do my 2" BDS block lift, I based the prices on what I paid, my blocks were $25.00 because they are 2". I bought stuff separately. But kits are probably a better bang for the buck especially if you get add-a-leafs instead of blocks.

3" Body lift was a couple days, but done with hand tools and a cold garage.