how does a g80 locker work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Hello everyone, if I may start out with a question, my four wheel drive 98 GMC when it was new, a fleet truck I think, it had a 3.42 ratio and a positraction axle. The RPO codes showed,
GU6 : AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
G80 : AXLE POSITRACTION, LIMITED SLIP

I suspect that has long time lost that ability as I can 'light up' tire on payment quite easily if I try. What I'd like to know is, has anyone fixed it so it works again like it was from the factory or went with some other type of locking set up?

I don't know what size the rear end is, sorry.

Every once and again, very rare but I've heard of it happening they will die gracefully, locking components will drop to the bottom of the diff and it will be rendered an open diff. Other more likely scenario, PO blew up the rear and replaced it with an open diff.

The down and dirty description of the G80 gov-bomb, it is essentially an open diff. When one wheel spins faster (100 rpm). The centrifugal force causes a wedge to jam itself between the spider gears.

So the literal design that some genius' came up with was, when s**t starts turning really fast, throw a monkey wrench in there to make it stop.

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the literal design that some genius' came up with was, when s**t starts turning really fast, throw a monkey wrench in there to make it stop.

And their "safety measure" to prevent catastrophic failures due to the design was to prevent lockup at all if you're traveling faster than 15MPH. So above 15MPH, you essentially have an open diff.

I own two G80s, and hate them both. :lol:

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I own two G80s, and hate them both. :lol:

My current G80 is in a FF14b. I can't say I hate it. It gets the job done. And they're a bit less prone to committing suicide.

But I do not love it. I would much prefer a Detroit locker.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My current G80 is in a FF14b. I can't say I hate it. It gets the job done. And they're a bit less prone to committing suicide.

But I do not love it. I would much prefer a Detroit locker.

I guess hate is a little strong of a word. Mine are both 10 bolt axles. I've actually got a Detroit Locker and 4.10s just sitting in the garage that I bought for the red truck, but I can't be bothered to install it yet because, well, nothing's actually broken.

I just strongly dislike the unpredictable nature of the G80. Mine tend to not work when I really need them and vice-versa.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I just strongly dislike the unpredictable nature of the G80. Mine tend to not work when I really need them and vice-versa.

I will completely agree there. A bit of snow and you need to get some good spin before it locks up. But run down a washboard dirt road and stays locked up for the next 3 days.

Jorge6.5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess hate is a little strong of a word. Mine are both 10 bolt axles. I've actually got a Detroit Locker and 4.10s just sitting in the garage that I bought for the red truck, but I can't be bothered to install it yet because, well, nothing's actually broken.

That's funny, Ive said that many times. Works when you don't want it and don't work when you need it.