How can I get these to work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I recently bought a set of buckets out a 98 suburban, problem is my truck is an ext cab, didn’t think about the easy access handle till I got home, is there anything I can do to make these suburban buckets work? Or am I hooped and need to sell them off and continue the hunt for seats?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Can it be done, yes, but it wont be easy. You are going to basically have to take the 2 sets of seats apart, and swap the the mechanism that makes the seat slide forward when the back is tilted forward, and its track system.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can it be done, yes, but it wont be easy. You are going to basically have to take the 2 sets of seats apart, and swap the the mechanism that makes the seat slide forward when the back is tilted forward, and its track system.

I don’t really need the drivers to slide forward, just the passenger, I do have a seat currently in my truck (40 portion) of the bench I currently have, could I just swap the back half with the arm rest from the suburban onto the 40 portion currently in my truck?

Truck is a 95 ext cab with a 60/40 in it, drivers seat rocks like a rocking chair

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don’t really need the drivers to slide forward, just the passenger, I do have a seat currently in my truck (40 portion) of the bench I currently have, could I just swap the back half with the arm rest from the suburban onto the 40 portion currently in my truck?

Truck is a 95 ext cab with a 60/40 in it, drivers seat rocks like a rocking chair

I think so, but the best way to know is to try. We have an auto upholstery next to our shop. We get things from this guy every now and then, when something needs to be welded. Most things can be done, but may take some time and thought to get them to work.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the seat cover is good you can remove the cover ,weld the broken frame and reinstall the cover. I have done it many times for customers.

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think so, but the best way to know is to try. We have an auto upholstery next to our shop. We get things from this guy every now and then, when something needs to be welded. Most things can be done, but may take some time and thought to get them to work.
If the seat cover is good you can remove the cover ,weld the broken frame and reinstall the cover. I have done it many times for customers.

Reason I’m switching to buckets is my 60 portion of bench there is something is missing like a W wedge clip thing I think in the track, I can watch the track lift in the c channel of the seat frame, makes my seat rock, power Buckets will work better for me as my trucks a stick, I’d be happy to install the drivers as is, my passengers seats both in and out of the truck are in good shape, could I swap the seat backs around? How hard would that be and I’d probably need to peel both the covers off I assume and make a hole for the lever, is there mechanism in the seat backs that need to be hooked up?

GMC1994K1500SierraSL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could I take a good manual bench seat piece and install it onto a power frame bench? They have a good bench but it’s tan, my bad bench is grey, the seat is great but the frame is no good

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What can work, is a mater of what you are willing to do to make it work. I once took a set of bucket seats out of a Pontiac Sunbird, and installed them into a Nissan pick up. I used the old Nissan brackets , drilled holes in them, added braces in the rite places, and bolted the Pontiac seats to them. Although the seat brackets were not the same in any way, I did what I needed to so that they would work.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO, if it was me, I would make the Burn seats.work, but that's just me.