how can I get more steering angle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
basically- you dump the pump and run the same setup the 2014 silverados do

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the idea from dirt modified guys running ATV electric power steering bixes, btw. Then found out about these.

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wondering what converting to electric steering has to do with OP's question?

Richard
...Talking about modified steering, circle tracking... seemed foolish to me on stock, or even aftermarket crank driven ps sys.

Carry on.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not saying your suggestion was out of place in the general topic at hand but to be specific his question was about increasing steering angle. That's not gonna happen by just changing how the steering is powered. He's likely going to have to make spindle mods but as I mentioned earlier take a seriously close look at what all is going to interfere with the travel of all the parts involved, as the limits are there for good reason, to prevent moving part contact - though I do suspect the limits are generous because stock is designed "safe" with a margin of error. However, you also can assume he's lowered, which is going to affect those tolerances as well.

Though I don't think anybody mentioned circle tracking. OP was working on a drift truck which to me means road course, not dirt track.

Hell I'd say on a road course he might try experimenting with dumping all the fluid out of the P/S system, ditch the pump, and loop the hose. Quicker ratio box than a manual (which was never offered on a GMT400 anyway) and no more drag from all the fluid in the system. It may not work on this type of setup but it would be interesting to try, and if it doesn't work, he can easily reverse it. The guys running R&P on lighter cars seem to get some value out of it.

Richard

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not saying your suggestion was out of place in the general topic at hand but to be specific his question was about increasing steering angle. That's not gonna happen by just changing how the steering is powered. He's likely going to have to make spindle mods but as I mentioned earlier take a seriously close look at what all is going to interfere with the travel of all the parts involved, as the limits are there for good reason, to prevent moving part contact - though I do suspect the limits are generous because stock is designed "safe" with a margin of error. However, you also can assume he's lowered, which is going to affect those tolerances as well.

Though I don't think anybody mentioned circle tracking. OP was working on a drift truck which to me means road course, not dirt track.

Hell I'd say on a road course he might try experimenting with dumping all the fluid out of the P/S system, ditch the pump, and loop the hose. Quicker ratio box than a manual (which was never offered on a GMT400 anyway) and no more drag from all the fluid in the system. It may not work on this type of setup but it would be interesting to try, and if it doesn't work, he can easily reverse it. The guys running R&P on lighter cars seem to get some value out of it.

Richard
Never heard of that... do you know it works?

Might be usefull to me as I have another motor thats gonna need another OBS sometime soon... and I haaaaate the idea of an ugly PS pump in front.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Never heard of that... do you know it works?

Might be usefull to me as I have another motor thats gonna need another OBS sometime soon... and I haaaaate the idea of an ugly PS pump in front.

Couldn't hurt to try!

Richard

DeucesAllin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
ill try it on mine in a few weeks. strip only deal. ill post it