Hood Insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah age and exposure to heat really affects them. I thought about the ABS unit, looks like it would dress up the underhood area. I also thought about using some of the silver insulation sold at HDepot with the contact cement from LMC to do mine. For me it would be only to deaden some engine road noise, not for prettiness. After all mine is a work truck bought with scratched faded paint and primer spots so if it got dinged to scratched while hauling no big deal.

mountie

I sold my '88 C2500 to a happy guy in Germany
Reaction score
I believe washing your old insulation will result, clean but ugly,,,, maybe weakened.

I got the LMC version and it still is looking good & strong.
If you can get a plastic fastener-removal tool, your plastic fasteners should be ok, if you are careful.

Iowan

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like the ABS ones and I think it'd be neat if there was a way to add some type of a LED strip light for under the hood. The only problem is I'd like to have a cowl hood. I saw ChrisFix spay his liner, then her spray painted it black again.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone here tried the ABS ? If so how does it work with heat ?

Should be fine, there is ALOT of plastic under the hood on most cars, including these trucks. Never seen a melted fuse box or anything unless your running a big turbo, lots of boost and have no thermal products on at all.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be fine, there is ALOT of plastic under the hood on most cars, including these trucks. Never seen a melted fuse box or anything unless your running a big turbo, lots of boost and have no thermal products on at all.
Actually was more concerned with warping and sagging with heat. I would like to do one but it is quiet a bit of coins to spend to find out it looks awful in a few months. I guess in reality it would be fine the trucks big trips amounts to maybe 15-20 miles a week =)

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shouldn't be a issue, ABS plastic is pretty damn sturdy. I have seen it used for all kinds of underhood custom stuff.

And if that's all the miles the truck sees then I'd do it and never look back.

Dave454ss

Reaction score
Cripe, the INTAKES on NBS trucks are plastic...not to mention the whole topside, numerous trim pieces & parts...not saying its the SAME plastic, but just because its plastic I wouldn't write it totally off...
Personally I love the looks of that ABS unit...I'd buy one now if I was sure I wasn't gonna go with a Cowl hood on my "restification"...