Hood Insulation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Treble

Reaction score
I've been working on cleaning the engine Bay of my 94. I should have taken images to document my progress. What really needs to be cleaned is the hood installation. I seen a YouTube video where a guy remove it. And then cleaned it with a pressure washer.
I looked at it a bit yesterday, can anyone tell me the best way to remove the retainers/pins that hold the insulation in place.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Door panel tool would get 'em out but don't be surprised if some of them break due to being brittle. Can be a little tricky getting replacements of the exact right type.

I'd be really careful pressure washing that insulation. Tends to be pretty fragile once it gets old. You may even crack it while leveraging against it with tools to remove the fasteners.

You could just wash it in place, at the car wash.

Richard

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You can use screwdrivers to get them out or the universal tool kit pictured below. Those plastic fastners are one-time-use so you'll need a package of new ones before you put it back on

Treble

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, I had seen they are barbed on the side that the is not visible. I will make sure I have a few retainers on hand before I continue with this project

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Just remove it and throw it in the trash. I guarantee once you get it wet, it's just going to fall apart.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea i feel like pressure washing it is just going to blow it to pieces

As you probably know, LMC Truck has the molded one like a factory fit and they have a universal. And they have a ABS kit that comes with under insulation. The ABS part can come with or without logo's for Bowtie and GMC. And they have retainers as well. As expected they are not cheap.
And many years ago I did wash mine, but as Someotherguy said I did not remove it, I sprayed it down with a diluted solution of Zip degreaser and then hosed it out, and it looked good and did not come apart. I did the insulation and then detailed engine after because it will make a mess below. Mine is still in good shape but dirty again, I am giving thoughts to the new molded one.
I am thinking for the price the ABS one might be prone to warping after some age and heat.

Last edited:

Treble

Reaction score
Folks I don't even own a Pressure washer.... Lol.... I seen a guy on YouTube using a pressure washer

Jkeaton~ I totally thought of that as one of options, Advice taken delete under way

Oldblue98~ Those molded ones look nice, we've all see them befor. This could be the way I end up going

Treble

Reaction score
Finished......

That was an extremely filthy project I don't believe I'll ever be replacing it