Home Brew Exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jb034

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I stole a pair of ceramic hooker 2462-1hkr's on ebay straight from holley for $160! That being said im ready to get started on the setup. Im looking at two options. I can get a muffler online and have a shop run pipe from the headers to my highflow cat and muffler and weld everything up....or. I can get all of the pipe and whatnot and clamp everything together. My main object is to do it the cheapest way and all mandrel bent.
Has anyone bought parts and done there exhaust at home? If so what did you do for parts etc.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've done exhaust at the shop several times, I don't do exhaust work for customers very often but i'll do it for friends etc. Anyways just make sure to get plenty pipe and try to figure out what bends you'll need if you don't have a tubing bender. And also if you can, clamp AND weld. And also remember that as the pipe goes back to the rear of vehicle, you want the pipe to slip into the next pipe (ie the muffler exit should slip into the tail pipe, not the other way around). As far as what tools/supplies are needed, the basics would be: Socket set, reciprocating saw (or hacksaw), chop saw, welder , grinder, exhaust hangers, pipe expander, clamps, collector gaskets, flanged for the cat, and i'm sure there's a few other things that you'll find yourself needing

jb034

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im talking about getting pre bent pipe. Dynomax makes an intermediate and tail pipe for 160 shipped. Im starting to feel like it would be cheaper and more convenient to wait and find the right shop to do it haha

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
run true duals or it was completly pointless of u getting those headers

I have to disagree with you there man! In general i hate headers, BUT that being said the headers will flow better then stock manifolds. And unless the OP has a high HP engine, he really isn't going to see many benifits going from a 3" single exhaust to dual 2.5" pipes rather then sound. The single 3" will provide plenty of flow with a stock or slightly modifies engine. Now with all that being said, i still love true duals! It's just not pointless by having a single exhaust system, with upgraded components!

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
3" single exhaust will be more than good enough. This isnt some mondo turbocharged triple rotary RX7, the headers and new exhaust should give ya better sound and a little better mileage. True duals sound better but unless I had a lot of engine mods, I wouldnt bother with it.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
Run true duals with high flow cats, 2.25-2.5"

Mandrel bent is going to cost more and barely make a difference.

jb034

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well im going to be running a magnaflow highflow cat and magnaflow muffler so im really not saving any money by running duals. Id have to buy two cats and two mufflers and more pipe. Ill wait to find the cheapest shop before i jump into anything and dont plan on spending a ton. I do things slowly and as cheap as i can so the difference in pricing is not my concern.

1988GMC355(Devin) on FSC has the exact setup that im working on and he claims there's a noticeable improvement in both high and low end with a good Y pipe and mandrel bent pipe. I trust him and know plenty of people who vouch for his setup