Here's your FIX for the Tahoe/Yukon Driveline CLUNK

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Some of you Tahoe/Yukon owners may have the infamous driveline "clunk" when you take off after coming to a stop. It's not easy to pinpoint and a lot of people point the finger at U-Joints, carrier bearings, leaf spring bushings, axle wrap, driveline slack... But it is actually the yoke that slips into the output shaft of your transmission.

When you come to a stop, the yoke slides into the transmission a bit. Instead of sliding out when you let off the brake or give it gas it sort of "binds" and causes the noise you hear in the rear end when it finally slides back out.

To diagnose this, remove your driveshaft and grease the inside/outside of the slip yoke and put it back together. If this eliminates your clunk, then you've found your issue. Greasing it, however, is only a short-term fix and from what I've read is not recommended to do on a regular basis as it will degrade your fluid over time.
Also, check that your transfer case is filled with Autotrac II fluid and NOT red transmission fluid (if applicable).

The Fix
From what I've gathered among various forums there was a GM bulletin from several years ago on this issue. The bulletin states that in order to eliminate the driveline clunk that the slip yoke needs to be replaced with a "New Design" nickel-plated slip yoke.
These part numbers are for my '99 Yukon w/ Autotrac. Before ordering I used the last 6 digits of my VIN to verify the GM part # with a dealership so these companies could cross reference it when their own. I recommend you doing the same before ordering so you don't end up with a very expensive paper weight.

The dealer part number for this yoke (on my truck) is 88963576. My local dealer wants $240.78 for this part.

GMPartsDirect.com wants $144 + shipping.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.co/oe-gm/88963576

You can also find this part on eBay as part number 12477702 for roughly $215 shipped to your door.

I found this part at Driveline America for $102.22 + Shipping. I called them to verify it was the part. These guys were very helpful and friendly giving me advice on how to change it and giving me a good deal on a U-joint to go with it.
http://www.drivetrainamerica.com/p-4950-40032054-aam-oe-gm-3r-slip-yoke-nickel-plated-32-spline.aspx
You must be registered for see images

It should be on here on Tuesday. I may not get to installing it right away but when I do I will update this thread.

If you're interested in more information on this, there are a few threads over at TahoeYukonForum.com addressing this.
http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38275
http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=1307

Wilecoyote

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Riding around yesterday in my 98 K1500 5.7 4wd w the back glass and windows open I noticed a clank sound when the trans shifted to 2nd and 3rd, no sound shifting to OD.The u joints seem to be nice and tight.What my be the source of the noise?There is some slight play in the slip yoke and the output shaft but no leaks.

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This normally happens when pulling away from a stop. If you remove the prop shaft and clean up any corrosion and crap from the yoke with a scotch pad and then grease the yoke it should go away. The clunk is it sticking (On the crap and corrosion) and releasing.

Might want to check your trans mount as I've never heard mine clunk while moving, just pulling away hard from a stop.

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Probably has the same slip yoke, and if you have a clunk pulling away sometimes that's probably it. But I really only know what's relevant to my 4wd.

Edit.
i just looked at a 2wd and it does have a slip yoke.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm just curious if it fits since I have a suburban with aluminum drive shaft. I dont even know the ujoints size lol

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No idea. But you don't need to replace it, just clean it up and lube it.
Lubing it should be part of a maintenance schedule anyway.

96-2D-Hoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try that. If I I do how much fluid do you normally lose?
None.
Check it out on a vid on youtube before you do it.
Make sure to mark your propshaft at the diff end where you unbolt it so it goes back in the same spot. Doesn't matter at the yoke.

Clean up any corrosion, grease up the splines and put it back. Red & Tacky works great.

EDIT
You can actually clean the yoke area up without removing it, but it should get a grease up once in a while.

Last edited:

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
None.
Check it out on a vid on youtube before you do it.
Make sure to mark your propshaft at the diff end where you unbolt it so it goes back in the same spot. Doesn't matter at the yoke.

Clean up any corrosion, grease up the splines and put it back. Red & Tacky works great.

Will do. Thanks