Here it's is,my rusty ex plow truck.. It's a 2k crew dually 454 4l80 with 456 locker. One big mess

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hacknwhack

Reaction score
Thanks for your service by the way.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Hacknwhack

Reaction score
Started on the shackles and hangers today.
My goto tools for pulling bolts on shackles is an otc ball joint press and pb blaster ...makes short work of it. I have done it this way for years hope it helps some young cats get it done.
You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Hacknwhack

Reaction score
Shackles and hangers installed... I cant believe how thin the old ones were.

Hacknwhack

Reaction score
Got sidetracked playing truck legos.
Swapped the bed from my c1500, that had rust only where I need to cut out for fender flares. The c1500 got the rust free bed from the parts truck.and the parts truck gets the junk.
You must be registered for see images

Hacknwhack

Reaction score

When the was bed off the c1500,
I got around to pulling the spanked out 308 open, popped in the 343 gov lock that was on the floor all winter...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Is there any difference in strength between the bolts that now hold the shackle mount and the rivets that came out? Let's ignore the rust factor on that question.

Hacknwhack

Reaction score
Haha rust. Plenty of it here.
What I call, rust free ...anyone out west would throw away

I would think the rivets would be stronger. Long term. Gm did it for a reason.
The new bolts are grade 8 hardened with locking nuts...the rivets were softer, malleable.
I'm not an engineer.
Maybe ask the dorman company that makes them.
Or someone to chime in.
I can see this blowing up into its own thread.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm a total rust snob now. Once you're converted, there is no going back. Did you know that suspension/brake/anything under the car bolts are a feasible junkyard grab out here? Complete stock cat backs, a-arms, panhard rods all rust free and 20 years old just ripe for the picking. I'm originally from the U.P. of MI, so I know rust and I was blown away when I lifted the lid on a 20 year old Grand Marquis down in a TX junkyard for the first time and the frame still had all the paint sticking to it. It's cheaper to operate a vehicle when you can keep it forever without it turning into swiss cheese.

Hacknwhack

Reaction score
I'm a total rust snob now. Once you're converted, there is no going back. Did you know that suspension/brake/anything under the car bolts are a feasible junkyard grab out here? Complete stock cat backs, a-arms, panhard rods all rust free and 20 years old just ripe for the picking. I'm originally from the U.P. of MI, so I know rust and I was blown away when I lifted the lid on a 20 year old Grand Marquis down in a TX junkyard for the first time and the frame still had all the paint sticking to it. It's cheaper to operate a vehicle when you can keep it forever without it turning into swiss cheese.
I grew up with rust. Learned to accept it. It's frustrating to spend the first half of a build shaking off the rust.
I've been around the country a bit..
Seen those rust free gems..
Now you know why I'm building a Towpig... to bring back here.

"I've been converted" and "Texas"....
Sounds like Ray whiley Hubbard
Lyrics. Haha